- ¼ cup chana dal/bengal gram (split)
- 1 cup rice
- 2 tablespoons clarified butter/ghee
- 1 tablespoon cumin seeds/jeera
- 1 star anise/chakra phool
- 2 bay leaves/tej patta
- 1 small cinnamon stick/dal chini
- 5-8 cloves/laung
- 1 teaspoon black pepper corns/kali mirch
- 1 tablespoon ginger garlic paste
- 2 large onions sliced
- 1.5 cups water
- 1 tablespoon clarified butter/ghee
*Measure rice, chana dal and water from the same cup
Note– Please read recipe notes in the end.
Main Equipment Used
- Tefal Non-Stick set of 5: https://amzn.to/2Y7mZuX
- Induction cooktop – I use Morphy Richards 1600 Watt Cooktop. You can find it on Amazon here: https://amzn.to/2Jkn4px
Steps In Making
- Soak chana dal in water for 2 hours and rice for 30 minutes.
- In a pressure cooker heat ghee and then add cumin seeds, star anise, bay leaf, cinnamon stick, cloves and black pepper corns. Sauté them for a minute.
- Now add ginger garlic paste and sauté them for a minute or until it gets a light brown colour.
- Further add sliced onions and cook them for 3-4 minutes or until they get a light brown colour and turn translucent. Add a tablespoon of water if needed.
- Now add the soaked chana dal and rice and gently mix them. Roast them for a minute with the onions.
- Add water and mix well.
- Lastly add salt and ghee and give it a final stir.
- Pressure cook on medium flame for 2 whistles. Open the lid once the entire steam has been released.
- Serve hot with raita or pickle.
- Its important to soak the chana dal else it will remain uncooked.
- Measure rice, chana dal and water from the same cup
- Ginger garlic paste adds a great flavour to this chana dal pulav. Do not skip it.
CLICK HERE to subscribe to my YouTube channel for more such yummy recipes.
- Matar Pulav recipe in Pressure Cooker
- Vegetable Pulav recipe in Pressure Cooker
- Kashmiri Pulav recipe in Pressure Cooker