This Christmas Fruit Cake Recipe with Rum is the best thing you can make for your family & friends. Made with rich fruits and rum, this Christmas cake is bound to melt in your mouth.
Christmas Fruit Cake With Rum – Recipe Video
CLICK HERE to subscribe to my YouTube channel for more such yummy recipes.
Ingredients For Christmas Fruit Cake With Rum
- 1 ½ cup (240g) mixed peel and dried fruits*
- 1 cup (140g) raisins
- 1 cup (140g) black currants
- 2/3 cup (160ml) honey
- 2/3 cup (160ml) rum (can replace rum with fruit juice or water)
- ¾ cup (170g) butter
- 1 cup (198g) light brown sugar
- 1 ½ tablespoon mixed spice**
- ½ teaspoon ginger powder
- ½ teaspoon cinnamon powder
- 3 tablespoon cocoa powder
- 3 large eggs
- 1 2/3 cup (213g) refined flour
- ½ teaspoon baking powder
- ½ teaspoon baking soda
Note- Please read recipe notes for more details on the ingredients.
Main Equipments Used
- OTG – I use Bajaj 35-litre oven. You can find it on Amazon, here: https://amzn.to/2Q0OumQ
- Induction cooktop – I use Morphy Richards 1600 Watt Cooktop. You can find it on Amazon here: https://amzn.to/2Jkn4px
- Kitchen Weighing Scale – A must for measuring ingredients. I bought this one from Amazon: https://amzn.to/2U1BcMe
Steps In Making Christmas Fruit Cake with Rum
- Preheat the oven to 165 C (329 F)
- Take a 9 inch spring form cake pan and generously grease it with butter and then line the bottom and corners with parchment paper. Now take aluminium foil and fold it into double and cover the outside of the cake tin with the same. Tie it with a thread so it doesn’t fall off. Your cake tin is ready.
- In a large heavy bottom pan add honey, butter, brown sugar, cocoa powder, mixed spice, ginger powder, cinnamon powder and rum. Now switch on the flame to medium and cook for couple of minutes while stirring continuously.
- Now lower the flame and add mixed peel, raisins and black currants and mix. Now bring the flame to medium and keep stirring it constantly and cook for 14-15 minutes or until you get few boils. You will notice the dried nuts will begin to swell up.
- Switch off the flame and let it come down to room temperature. The mixture will slowly begin to thicken.
- Once completely cooled add the eggs and vanilla essence and mix until everything is well combined.
- In another bowl sieve the dried ingredients like refined flour, baking soda and baking powder.
- Add the dried ingredients into the liquid mixture and gently fold in till everything is well combined. Don’t over mix else the cake might turn hard.
- Now pour the cake into the prepared baking pan and place the cake pan in middle rack of the oven and bake for 1 ½ hours (90-100 minutes) or until toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. Midway, if the cake top begins to brown too much, cover it with an aluminium foil.
- Once your christmas fruit cake with rum is baked, transfer it to a wire rack and after 10 minutes remove it from the cake pan and let it cool down completely.
- Brush the cake with rum for extra flavour and dust it with icing sugar and garnish it with some cherries. (optional)
- Store in an air tight container in the refrigerator for upto a month.
Recipe Notes For Christmas Fruit Cake with Rum
- *Mixed peel is skins and peels of various fruits like oranges, lemons etc. You can also add any dried or candied fruits of your choice like figs, prunes, apricots, cranberries, plums, cherries, tutti-frutti, or nuts. Just keep the final measurement same.
- **Mixed spice is various spices grounded together like nutmeg, cinnamon, cloves, all spice etc. It gives this Eggless Christmas cake a rich taste and flavour. It’s easily available in the market, especially during the Christmas season. If you don’t get mixed spice, you can use ¼ teaspoon of each (nutmeg, cinnamon, cloves, all spice, ginger powder ) Please note mixed spice is not the same as garam masala.
- If midway the cake top browns too much then cover it with an aluminium foil.
- Rum can be replaced with orange or apple juice.
Steps By Step In Pictures For Christmas Fruit Cake with Rum
1. Take a 9 inch spring form cake tin and generously grease it with butter and then line the bottom and corners with parchment paper.
2. Now take aluminium foil and fold it into double and cover the outside of the cake tin with the same. Tie it with a thread so it doesn’t fall off. Your cake tin is ready.
3. Now chop mixed peel in smaller pieces.
4. In a heavy bottom pan add butter.
5. Add light brown sugar.
6. Add honey.
7. Add cocoa powder.
8. Add cinnamon powder.
9. Add mixed spice.
10. Add ginger powder.
11. Add rum. (If you don’t like rum, replace it with juice or water)
12. Cook for couple of minutes on medium flame, while stirring continuously.
13. Now lower the flame and add mixed peel.
14. Add raisins.
15. Add black currants.
16. Keep stirring it constantly and cook for 14- 15 minutes or until you get few boils.
17. The dried nuts will begin to swell up. Switch off the flame and let it come down to room temperature.
18. In another bowl add refined flour.
19. Add baking powder and baking soda.
20. Once liquid mixture has come down to room temperature add eggs and mix until well combined.
21. Add vanilla essence and mix again.
22. Add the dried ingredients into the liquid mixture and gently fold in till everything is well combined. Don’t over mix.
23. Pour the batter into the prepared cake pan.
24. Bake for 1 ½ hours or until toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. If the cake top begins to brown too much, cover it with an aluminium foil.
24. Once baked transfer the cake on a wire rack for atleast 10 minutes.
25. Now remove the cake from the cake pan and let it cool down completely on the wire rack. Brush your Christmas fruit cake with rum for extra flavour. (optional)
26. Finally dust the cake with icing sugar and garnish it with some cherries. (optional)