Recipe – Video
CLICK HERE to subscribe to my YouTube channel for more such yummy recipes.
- 1 teaspoon ghee
- 2 cups (200g) dried desiccated coconut
- 1 cup (240ml) milk
- 1 cup (200g) sugar
- 4-5 drops pink food colour (optional)
Note– Please read recipe notes in the end.
Main Equipment Used
- Tefal Non-Stick set of 5: https://amzn.to/2Y7mZuX
- Induction cooktop – I use Morphy Richards 1600 Watt Cooktop. You can find it on Amazon here: https://amzn.to/2Jkn4px
Steps In Making
- Place a heavy bottom pan on medium flame and add ghee. Now add coconut and cook for 2-3 minutes while stirring it continuously or until it turns aromatic.
- Add milk and cook for around 3-4 minutes or until the milk is absorbed by the coconut and it gets a crumbly texture.
- Further add sugar, soon it will release it’s water, cook till the water is completely absorbed. (There should be some moisture still left in the coconut). Don’t cook further, else the mixture will become dry and barfi will turn out hard and crumbly.
- Now divide the coconut mixture into 3/4 and 1/4 portion. For the upper layer of the coconut barfi, 1/4 portion add few drops of pink food colour and mix well.
- Line a tray with parchment paper or grease it with ghee. Now transfer the white coconut barfi mixture on it and spread it evenly.
- Now add the pink coconut barfi mixture and form a top layer and gently press it with a spatula or spoon.
- Lastly sprinkle some desiccated coconut on top.
- Keep it in the refrigerator to set for 4-5 hours.
- Once set and firm cut the coconut barfi into square pieces.
- Store in the refrigerator for up to two weeks.
- Can use low fat or full fat milk.
- Can use finely grated fresh coconut too.
- Don’t cook this over high flame else the coconut will turn dark in colour.
- Before setting the barfi make sure the coconut mixture is not very moist, else it won’t set properly.
- Do not over cook it, else it will become dry and wont set.