- 500g spinach/palak
- 1 green chili
- 2 tablespoons clarified butter/ghee
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1 teaspoon cumin/jeera
- 3 tablespoons finely chopped garlic
- 1 large onion finely chopped
- 1 medium tomato finely chopped
- 1 green chili finely chopped
- salt to taste
- 1 teaspoon red chili powder
- 1 teaspoon roasted cumin powder
- 1 tablespoon coriander powder
- ½ teaspoon garam masala
- 2 tablespoons gram flour/besan
- 1 tablespoon clarified butter/ghee
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1 teaspoon cumin seeds/jeera
- 3 tablespoon garlic finely chopped
- 2 dried red chilies
- ½ teaspoon kashmiri red chili powder
Note– Please read recipe notes in the end.
Main Equipment Used
- Tefal Non-Stick set of 5: https://amzn.to/2Y7mZuX
- Induction cooktop – I use Morphy Richards 1600 Watt Cooktop. You can find it on Amazon here: https://amzn.to/2Jkn4px
Steps In Making
- To blanch the spinach in a pan add water and bring it to a boil.
- Now add the spinach and let it simmer for couple of minutes. The spinach will turn soft.
- Immediately transfer them in ice cold water so the cooking process stops and it retains it’s colour.
- Drain the excess water and transfer it in a mixer grinder along with a green chili. Now blend till it forms into a smooth puree. Add some water if needed.
- In kadai heat oil and butter.
- Add cumin seeds and roast till it becomes little dark and turns aromatic.
- Add finely chopped garlic and roast them for 2-3 minutes till it gets a nice golden colour.
- Further add onions and cook them for 3-4 minutes or until they get a light brown colour.
- Now add tomatoes, green chillies salt and cook till the tomatoes turn soft.
- Add red chili powder, cumin powder, coriander powder and garam masala, mix well. Add few tablespoons of water and cook the masala for 2 minutes.
- Add gram flour and roast for 2-3 minutes.
- Now add ¼ cup of water and bring it to a boil.
- Finally add the pureed spinach. Cover it with a lid and let it simmer on medium flame for 2 minutes. It will get a nice thick and creamy texture.
- In a pan heat oil and butter and then add cumin seeds and garlic. Roast for a minute.
- Now add dried red chillies and red chili powder and sauté for few seconds.
- Pour the tadka on the lasooni palak and mix well.
- Serve hot with roti, naan, rice or paratha.
- Do not add lots of water while grinding the spinach else it will become very watery.
- Roast the gram flour for 2-3 minutes to remove its raw taste. Adding gram flour will give a treat texture and body to the gravy. Do not skip it.
CLICK HERE to subscribe to my YouTube channel for more such yummy recipes.
- Dhaba Style Palak Paneer recipe
- Dhaba Style Paneer Butter Masala recipe
- Dhaba Style Dal Tadka recipe