- 10 dried red chillies
- 250g yoghurt
- 500g small potatoes boiled and pealed
- 4-5 tablespoons mustard oil
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon red chilli powder
- 3 tablespoons mustard oil
- 1 teaspoon cumin seeds
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 star anise
- 1 small cinnamon stick
- 6-8 cloves
- 12-14 black pepper corns
- 2 green cardamoms
- 1 tablespoon ginger garlic paste
- 1 tablespoon Kashmiri red chilli powder
- ¼ teaspoon turmeric powder
- 1 tablespoon coriander powder
- 1 teaspoon dry ginger powder
- ½ teaspoon /jeera/roasted cumin powder
- 1 teaspoon sauf powder/fennel seed powder
- salt to taste
- ½ teaspoon garam masala
- 1 teaspoon dried kasuri methi
- 2 tablespoons fresh coriander
Note– Please read recipe notes in the end.
Main Equipment Used
- Tefal Non-Stick set of 5: https://amzn.to/2Y7mZuX
- Induction cooktop – I use Morphy Richards 1600 Watt Cooktop. You can find it on Amazon here: https://amzn.to/2Jkn4px
Steps In Making
- Remove the seeds of the dried red chillies and soak them in warm water for 10 minutes.
- Put them in a mixer grinder along with some water and grind them to form a smooth paste.
- In a bowl add yoghurt and add the red chilli paste in it and mix well.
- Take boiled and pealed potatoes and dock them with a fork or toothpick.
- Heat the mustard oil in a pan and add boiled potatoes in them.
- Sprinkle some salt and red chilli powder and sauté them for 7-8 minutes or until they get a golden brown colour on top.
To Make The Gravy
- Heat mustard oil in a kadai and then add all the whole spices, cumin seeds, cloves, bell pepper corns, bay leaf, green cardamoms, cinnamon stick and star anise.
- Add ginger garlic paste and sauté for a minute.
- Now add red chilli powder and turmeric powder and cook for 10-15 seconds.
- Further add coriander powder, cumin powder, dry ginger powder, sauf powder and salt. Add some water and cook the masalas for sometime.
- Add the yoghurt mixture we prepared earlier and keep stirring it continuously for a minute or it start to curdle.
- Now add the boiled potatoes and cook for 8-10 minutes or until the gravy thickens and the potatoes have absorbed the goodness of the gravy.
- Finally add some garam masala, kasuri methi and fresh coriander.
- Serve with roti, naan or rice.
- Use baby potatoes for this recipe as it will soak the gravy. If you have big potatoes then cut them into half and then use.