The most loved classic spaghetti aglio olio pasta recipe is my favourite, it’s simple and very easy to make. I end up making this at least twice in a month. Do give it a try, I am sure you will love it. Do check out my creamy white sauce pasta recipe too.
- 200g dry spaghetti
- ¼ cup (60ml) olive oil
- 2 tablespoons garlic finely chopped
- 1 teaspoon red chilli flakes
- 1 teaspoon oregano
- 1 teaspoon parsley
- parmesan for topping
- salt to taste
Note– Please read recipe notes in the end.
Main Equipment Used
- Tefal Non-Stick set of 5: https://amzn.to/2Y7mZuX
- Induction cooktop – I use Morphy Richards 1600 Watt Cooktop. You can find it on Amazon here: https://amzn.to/2Jkn4px
Steps In Making Spaghetti Aglio Olio
- In a pan add 4-5 cups of water and bring it to a boil. Now add 2 teaspoons of olive oil and salt. Further add the spaghetti pasta, cook for around 9-10 minutes or until al dente. It wont be very soft but firm when you bite into it.
- Once the pasta is done, take a sieve/colander and rinse the excess water. Do not throw all the pasta water, keep 1 cup aside.
- Meanwhile in another pan add olive oil, garlic, red chilli flakes and oregano and saute on medium to low flame for 5-6 minutes till the garlic turn golden and the the oil turns aromatic.
- Now add 1 cup of pasta water in it and bring it to a boil.
- Further add the spaghetti and while stirring it occasionally cook till all the water is absorbed by the pasta. This will add lot of flavour to it.
- Lastly add some parsley.
- Serve hot and top it with some Parmesan.
- Always cook the garlic and herbs on low or medium flame for extra flavour, else they might burn.
- Never over boil the spaghetti else it will become soggy and wont absorb the flavour from the oil and garlic.
Step By Step In Pictures For Spaghetti Aglio Olio
- In a pan add 4-5 cups of water and bring it to a boil, now add 2 teaspoons of olive oil in it.
2. Add salt.
3. Now add the spaghetti pasta, for around 9-10 minutes or until al dente.
4. The pasta is perfectly cooked now. It wont be very soft but firm when you bite into it.
5. Once the pasta is done, take a sieve/colander and rinse the excess water.
6. Do not throw all the pasta water, keep around 1 cup aside.
7. Place a pan over medium flame and add olive oil.
8. Now add the garlic, red chilli flakes and oregano.
9. Saute on medium to low flame for 5-6 minutes till the garlic turn golden and the the oil turns aromatic.
10. Garlic has got a lovely golden colour, its perfectly cooked now.
11. Now add around 1 cup of pasta water.
12. Bring it to a boil.
13. Further add the boiled spaghetti.
14. Add salt.
15. Mix till everything is well combined. Add some more pasta water if needed.
16. Cook on medium flame till all the pasta water is absorbed.
17. Spaghetti aglio olio looks perfectly cooked now.
18. Add some fresh parsley and mix well.
19. Top it with some Parmesan and serve immediately.