This Gajar Ka Halwa recipe is my mother’s recipe and she has been making this since decades now. I am neither using Khoya, nor condensed milk in making this halwa – we are using only milk in our recipe but still this Gajar ka Hhalwa turns out very thick and creamy. Also known as Gajrela, this is one of the most classic Indian sweets that is made during winters. In fact, winters are incomplete without this classic winter dessert. Do try this Gajar Ka Halwa at home and I am sure everyone you serve will love it!
Gajar Ka Halwa – Recipe Video:
CLICK HERE to subscribe to my YouTube channel and check out all my yummy recipes.
Ingredients For Gajar Ka Halwa
- 1 kg carrots (grated)
- 2 liter milk (full fat)
- 2 ¼ cup (250g) sugar
- ¼ cup (60ml) ghee/clarified butter
- ½ teaspoon cardamom powder
- 10-12- almonds
- 10-12 cashews
- 2 tablespoon raisins
- Heavy bottom pan – I use the Prestige Granite 3-pcs set. You can find it on Amazon here: https://amzn.to/2Q0OMu6
- Induction cooktop – I use Morphy Richards 1600 Watt Cooktop. You can find it on Amazon here: https://amzn.to/2Jkn4px
Steps In Making Gajar Ka Halwa
- In a heavy bottom pan add milk and let it come to a boil, then add the grated carrots.
- Cook on medium or low flame while stirring it occasionally and scraping the bottom and the sides continuously.
- Cook for around an hour or until all the milk is completely absorbed by the carrots and it becomes thick in texture.
- Then add sugar and while stirring it continuously cook till the sugar melts and it completely absorbed too. (around 10-15 minutes)
- Once the gajar halwa becomes thick add ghee and cook for 8-10 minutes on medium flame till it starts to release ghee from the sides of the pan. it will get a nice shiny texture too.
- Add cardamom powder and mix well.
- In another pan add a tablespoon on ghee and roast the chopped almonds and cashews till light golden brown in colour.
- Now add the roasted dried fruits and raisins in the gajar halwa and cook for another 5-6 minutes.
- Serve hot or cold. (preferably hot)
- Store in an air tight container in the refrigerator for upto two weeks.
Recipe Notes For Gajar Ka Halwa
- Use full fat milk for a thick creamy halwa.
- This gajar ka halwa recipe doesn’t need mawa/ khoya or condensed milk for extra creaminess as we are cooking the carrots only in milk (no water) and once the milk reduces it forms a thick creamy texture.
- This recipe can easily be divided or multiplied.
- Sugar can be reduced or increased as per the taste.
Step By Step In Pictures for Gajar Ka Halwa
- In a heavy bottom pan add milk and let it come to a boil.
2. Now add grated carrots to it.
3. Cook on medium or low flame while stirring it occasionally and scraping the bottom and the sides continuously.
4. Cook till the milk is completely absorbed by the carrots and it becomes thick. ( around 60-70 minutes)
5. This looks perfect.
6. Now add sugar and cook till the sugar melts and it completely absorbed too. (around 10-15 minutes)
7. Keep stirring continuously to avoid sugar from sticking to the bottom of the pan.
9. Now add cardamom powder and cook for few more minutes.
10. In another pan add ghee.
11. Once the ghee melts add chopped almonds and cashews in it and cook for 3-4 minutes till golden brown in colour.
12. Add the roasted nuts in the gajar halwa.
13. Mix till everything is well combined.
14. Now add raisins and cook for few 5-6 minutes while stirring it constantly.
15. The gajar halwa is done now. Serve hot or cold. (preferably hot)
16. Store in an air tight container in the refrigerator for upto two weeks.