- ½ cup semolina/suji
- ¼ cup gram flour/besan
- ¼ cup rice flour
- ½ cup yoghurt
- 1 small cucumber grated
- 1 small carrot grated
- 1 medium onion finely chopped
- 1 medium tomato finely chopped
- 1 green chilli finely chopped
- 2 tablespoons fresh coriander finely chopped
- 1 tablespoon ginger garlic paste
- salt to taste
- ¼ teaspoon turmeric powder
- ½ teaspoon red chilli powder
- 1 sachet eno
- Oil for cooking
- Cumin seeds
- Mustard seeds
- Sesame seeds
- Curry leaves
Note– Please read recipe notes in the end.
Main Equipment Used
- Tefal Non-Stick set of 5: https://amzn.to/2Y7mZuX
- Induction cooktop – I use Morphy Richards 1600 Watt Cooktop. You can find it on Amazon here: https://amzn.to/2Jkn4px
Steps In Making
- In a large bowl add semolina, gram flour, rice flour, yoghurt, water and mix well.
- Now add all the vegetables; cucumber, carrots, onions, tomatoes, green chillies, coriander, ginger garlic paste and mix well. The batter should have a medium consistency. Not very thick nor thin.
- Let it rest for 5-10 minutes.
- Now add all the spices, salt, turmeric powder and red chilli powder. The instant handvo batter is ready.
- In a small bowl take some batter for 1 handvo and add 1/4 teaspoon of eno and gently mix.
- To prepare the handvo in a non stick pan or heavy bottom pan add oil and once it heats add cumin seeds, mustard seeds, sesame seeds, asafetida and curry leaves. Once the seeds splutter add the batter and evenly spread it.
- Sprinkle some sesame seeds on the top. Now cover it with a lid and cook on medium to low heat for 6-7 minutes.
- Once done, add put some fresh coriander leaves on top and flip the hanvo. Cook the other side for another 3-4 minutes.
- Serve hot with ketchup or chutney. This recipe will yield 2 medium size handvos.
- If you are a vegan you can replace yoghurt with water.
- You can add any vegetables of your choice, just make sure they are finely chopped or grated.