- ½ cup (120ml) mustard oil
- 1 tablespoon cumin seeds/jeera
- 1 tablespoon mustard seeds/rai
- ¼ teaspoon fenugreek seeds/meethi dana
- ½ teaspoon asafetida/heeng
- 20 garlic cloves
- 3 dried red chillies
- 6 large tomatoes red and juicy
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1 teaspoon turmeric/haldi powder
- 1 teaspoon kashmiri red chilli powder
- 1 teaspoon chilli flakes/kuti lal mirch
- ¼ cup tamarind water
- 2 teaspoons jaggery powder/gud
Note– Please read recipe notes in the end.
Main Equipment Used
- Tefal Non-Stick set of 5: https://amzn.to/2Y7mZuX
- Induction cooktop – I use Morphy Richards 1600 Watt Cooktop. You can find it on Amazon here: https://amzn.to/2Jkn4px
Steps In Making
- In a pan add mustard oil and once it heats completely lower the flame and add cumin seeds, mustard seeds, fenugreek seeds and asafetida. Sauté them for few seconds.
- Now add garlic and sauté for a minute till it gets a light golden colour.
- Now add dried red chilli and sauté them for few seconds.
- Add chopped tomatoes, salt and mix well. Cover it with a lid and let it cook for around 15 minutes or until the tomatoes turn soft and mushy. They will also reduce in size.
- Now add red chilli powder, turmeric powder, red chilli flakes and cook for another 4-5 minutes.
- Further add tamarind water and cook for another 4-5 minutes.
- Finally add jaggery powder and cook for couple of minutes. Tamatar ka achar is ready.
- Let it cool down completely before storing it in an airtight container.
- Can be stored in refrigerator for upto 3 months and in room temperature for upto a month.
- Let the mustard oil heat completely before adding the spices.
- Slice the garlic into 2 pieces if they are very big. Skip them if you do not eat garlic.
- You can replace jaggery with sugar.
CLICK HERE to subscribe to my YouTube channel for more such yummy recipes.
- Instant Mirchi Ka Achar| Green Chilli Pickle recipe
- Garlic Pickle In 10 Minutes
- Poondu/ Garlic Chutney recipe