- 1 cup (140g) almonds/ badam
- ¼ cup (38g) melon seeds/ kharbuje ke beej
- ½ cup (62g) pistachios/ pista
- ½ cup (75g) cashews/ kaju
- 10-12 elachai/ green cardamom/ elachai
- 2 tablespoons poppy seeds/ khus-khus
- 1 star anise
- 1 tablespoon black peppercorns/ kali mirch
- 3 tablespoons fennel seeds/ sauf
- 20-25 saffron strands (optional)
- ¼ teaspoon cinnamon powder/ dal chini
- 1 pinch of nutmeg powder
- 2 tablespoons dried rose petals (optional)
Note– Please read the recipe notes at the end.
Main Equipment Used
- Non-Stick Kadhai: https://amzn.to/3SKbMyG
- Mixer Grinder For Masala: https://amzn.to/2GVmyRI
- Blender For Thandai: https://amzn.to/3mjylxZ
- Induction Cooktop: https://amzn.to/2Jkn4px
Steps In Making
Instant thandai powder
- In a pan add almonds, melon seeds, cashews, and pistachios and roast them on low heat for two minutes.
- Now make a circle in the centre and add green cardamoms, poppy seeds, star anise, black peppercorns and fennel seeds. Roast them for a minute.
- Now transfer everything to a plate and let them cool down.
- Now grind the nuts in two batches till it forms a fine powder. Don’t churn them in one go, or else the nuts will release their oil. Grind on pulse mode (grind for 5 seconds, stop, grind again) and repeat till it forms into a fine powder.
- Once done remove the thandai powder into a bowl.
- Now add the saffron stands, cinnamon powder and nutmeg powder. Mix till everything is well combined.
- The thandai powder is ready. You can store it in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 2 months.
Instant thandai drink
- To make the thandai drink in a mixer grinder add 2-3 spoonfuls of the thandai premix and two glasses of chilled milk.
- Churn for a minute till it becomes frothy and everything is well combined.
- Serve chilled
- If you want to make the thandai the traditional way, then soak the dried nuts overnight and grind them into a fine paste the next day. Rest the entire process remains the same.
- While making the thandai powder, don’t churn the dried nuts in one go else they will release oil.
- For a fine thandai powder, sieve it.
- You can change the ratio of spices as per your taste. ( For eg, If you like more black pepper you can add more)
- You can use full-fat or low-fat milk. But preferably full-fat milk gives a better taste.