Kanda poha is a very common breakfast in Maharashtra. People love to have this in the mornings or in the evenings as a snack. Kanda poha is very simple and easy to make and takes less than 10 minutes. What’s better than a quick, healthy and delicious breakfast. You can check my poha cutlet recipe too.
Recipe – Video
CLICK HERE to subscribe to my YouTube channel for more such yummy recipes.
- 1½ cup poha/flattened rice
- 1 onion medium
- 12-14 curry leaves
- 2 green chilli
- ¼ cup raw peanuts
- 1 teaspoon mustard/rai seeds
- ¼ teaspoon turmeric/haldi powder
- 2 tablespoons refined oil
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- Fresh coriander for garnishing
- salt to taste
Note– Please read recipe notes in the end.
Main Equipments Used
- Tefal Non-Stick set of 5: https://amzn.to/2Y7mZuX
- Induction cooktop – I use Morphy Richards 1600 Watt Cooktop. You can find it on Amazon here: https://amzn.to/2Jkn4px
Steps In Making Kanda Poha
- In a sieve or a colander add poha and rinse it thoroughly with water.
- Now add some sugar and gently give it a mix. Let the poha rest for some time, till we prepare the rest of the ingredients.
- In a pan over medium flame, add raw peanuts and dry roast them for 3-4 minutes or until it turns aromatic and gets a light golden colour.
- Transfer the peanuts in a bowl and in the same pan add oil and once it turns hot add the mustard seeds and once they pop add chopped onions and saute them for a minute.
- Now add some curry leave and saute for another 2-3 minutes or until the onions get a light golden colour.
- Add turmeric and cook for a minute. Finally, add the roasted peanuts and bloomed poha and gently give it a mix. Don’t over mix else the poha might break.
- Cover it with a lid and cook for 2 minutes on low-medium flame.
- Once done, top it with some fresh coriander and lemon juice and serve hot.
- After washing the poha let it rest in a sieve or a colander, so all the excess water is drained. Else the poha will become soggy.
- The traditional kanda poha has only onions in it but you can add any vegetables of your choice like finely chopped carrots, capsicum, boiled peas, potatoes etc.
- Cover and cook the poha only for 2 minutes, if you overcook it then it will become dry.
- Never cook the poha on high flame, else it might become dry.
- While serving you can top the kandha poha with aloo/besan bhujiya along with fresh coriander and lemon juice.
Step By Step In Pictures For Kandha Poha
- In a sieve or a colander add poha.
2. Rinse it water thoroughly.
3. Now add some sugar and gently give it a mix. Let the poha rest till we prepare the rest of the things.
4. In a pan over medium flame add raw peanuts.
5. Dry roast them for 3-4 minutes or until it turns aromatic and get’s a light golden colour.
6. In the same pan add oil.
7. Once the oil turns hot add mustard seeds and let them pop.
8. Now add finely chopped onion and saute it for couple of minutes.
9. Add fresh curry leaves and saute them for 2-3 minutes till the onions gets a light golden colour.
10. The onions look perfect now.
11. At this point add green chillies.
12. Now add turmeric powder.
13. Saute for a minute.
14. Add the roasted peanuts and mix well.
15. Now add the bloomed poha.
16. Gently give it a mix and add salt. Do not over mix else the poha will break.
17. Cover with a lid and cook for 2 minutes on low-medium flame. Do not over cook else the kandha poha will become dry.
18. Finally add green chillies.
19. Squeeze some lemon juice while serving. Serve hot!