Malpua Recipe – Video
CLICK HERE to subscribe to my YouTube channel for more such yummy recipes.
- 3 cups (750ml) milk
- 2 cups (400g) sugar
- ½ cup (65g) refined flour/maida
- 1 ½ (360ml) water
- 3-4 crushed cardamom/elachai
- 20-22 saffron strands
- 1 teaspoon fennel seeds/sauf
- Oil for frying
Note– Please read recipe notes in the end.
Main Equipments Used
- Tefal Non-Stick set of 5: https://amzn.to/2Y7mZuX
- Induction cooktop – I use Morphy Richards 1600 Watt Cooktop. You can find it on Amazon here: https://amzn.to/2Jkn4px
Steps In Making Malpua
- To prepare the sugar syrup, in a pan add sugar and water and cook it on medium flame while stirring it occasionally for 6-7 minutes. The sugar will dissolve and start to boil.
- Add saffron strands, crushed cardamoms and cook for 7-8 minutes or util it forms a one string consistency. Which means when you check the consistency of the syrup in between your two fingers it will form a single string.
- To prepare the malpua batter, place a heavy bottom pan over medium flame and add milk. Now bring it to a boil. While stirring it occasionally, cook till the milk is reduced to 3/4th. Keep scraping the sides.
- The milk will become thick, now add crushed cardamoms, fennel seeds. Remove the reduced milk in a bowl and let it cool down for 10 minutes.
- Add semolina in the malpua batter and mix well. Now add the refined flour in 2-3 batches and mix till well combined. It will form into a thick batter.
- Add few tablespoons of milk and mix till it gets a thick pouring consistency. Now let it rest for 10 minutes.
- To fry the malpuas, in a pan over medium flame add oil and once it becomes hot, add a spoonful of the batter and let it cook for a minute, before turning the sides.
- Fry till golden brown from both sides, it will take around 4-5 minutes. Similarly fry all the malpua’s
- Immediately transfer the malpua’s into the warm sugar syrup and let it rest there for 10 minutes before serving.
- Serve hot! Can be stored in the refrigerator for upto 3-4 days. Your Malpua recipe is ready.
- Saunf (fennel seeds) adds a good flavour and taste to the malpua’s, Don’t skip this.
- Add refined flour in batches to avoid lumps.
- The malpua batter has a pouring consistency, it shouldn’t be very thick nor thin.
- Always fry the malpua’s on medium flame else they wont cook from the centre.
- The sugar syrup should always be warm while adding the malpua’s. if it’s cold then the malua’s won’t absorb the sugar syrup.
Step By Step In Pictures For Malpua Recipe
1. For Malpua recipe, we need to prepare the sugar syrup first. So take a a pan and add sugar to it.
2. Further add water.
3. Cook on medium flame for 5-6 minutes while stirring it occasionally.
4. The sugar syrup has been boiling and turned slightly thick. Now add saffron.
5. Add crushed cardamom.
6. The sugar syrup has formed one string consistency, which means when you hold it in between your fingers, it will form a single string. The sugar syrup is ready. Keep it aside.
7. To prepare the malpua batter, add milk in a heavy bottom pan and bring it to a boil over medium flame.
8. Keep stirring it occasionally till the milk is reduced to 3/4th, keep scraping the sides too.
9. The milk has reduced in quantity and has become thick.
10. Add 2-3 crushed cardamoms.
11. Further add fennel seeds and mix well.
12. Remove the milk in a bowl and let it cool down for 10 minutes.
13. Add semolina in it.
14. Now add refined flour, little at a time and mix well till well combined.
15. The malpua batter is thick at this given point.
16. Add few tablespoons of milk and mix, till it gets a nice pouring consistency.
17. The malpua batter is ready, let it rest for 10 minutes.
18. In a pan add oil and once it becomes hot, add a spoonful of the batter, depending on how big or small malpua’s you want.
19. Similarly add more batter.
20. Let it cook for couple of minutes, before turning the sides.
21. The malpua’s have started to cook.
22. Turn the sides and fry till golden brown from each side.
23. The malpua’s are perfectly cooked now.
24. Immediately transfer them in warm sugar syrup.
25. Press them inside so they soak the sugar syrup.
26. Le the malpua’s rest in the sugar syrup for 10 minutes before serving.
27. Serve hot!