- 3 tablespoons ghee/clarified butter
- 12-15 cashews
- 1 teaspoon black pepper corns
- 8-10 cloves
- 1 teaspoon cumin seeds/jeera
- 1 inch cinnamon stick
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 star anise
- 2 medium onions finely chopped
- 1 tablespoon ginger garlic paste
- 1 cup (150g) peas
- 1 green chilli chopped
- 1 cup (250g) rice, soaked in water for 30 minutes
- 1 ½ cups water (measure water from the same cup as you measure the rice)
- salt to taste
- ¼ teaspoon black pepper powder
- 1 tablespoon ghee/clarified butter
Note– Please read recipe notes in the end.
Main Equipment Used
- Tefal Non-Stick set of 5: https://amzn.to/2Y7mZuX
- Induction cooktop – I use Morphy Richards 1600 Watt Cooktop. You can find it on Amazon here: https://amzn.to/2Jkn4px
Steps In Making
- In a pressure cooker add ghee and once it turns hot add cashews and roast them for 2 minutes on medium flame until they turn light golden. Once done remove them in a plate.
- Now add all the whole spices like cloves, cinnamon stick, bay leaves, black pepper corns, cumin seeds, star anise, cardamom and toss for few seconds or until they turn aromatic.
- Further add the chopped onions and cook for 2-3 minutes or until they turn translucent. Now add ginger garlic paste and cook for another minute.
- Now add peas and cook them for another 2-3 minutes on medium flame.
- Further add soaked rice and gently mix them. Roast for a minute before adding the water.
- Finally add salt, black pepper powder, roasted cashews, ghee and give it a god mix. Now pressure cook for 1 whistle.
- Matar Pulav is ready, serve hot with raita, papad or salad.
- Roast the whole spices in ghee for better flavour and taste.
- Do not add extra water, else the pulav will become soggy.
- You can use any vegetable of your choice.