Meethi seviyan is one of those rare desserts, which can be cooked in very less time and everyone loves it. Made with few ingredients these meethi seviyan tastes delicious and is made especially during eid. Cooked in desi ghee and garnished with lots of dried nuts and khoya, it’s a perfect sweet for any festival.
Meethi Seviyan Recipe – Video
CLICK HERE to subscribe to my YouTube channel for more such yummy recipes.
3 cups (120g) fine vermicelli/ seviyan
¾ cup (150g) sugar
1½ cup (360ml) water
2 tablespoons clarified butter/ghee
10-12 chopped almonds
10-12 chopped cashews
2 tablespoons raisins
½ teaspoon cardamom powder
½ teaspoon saffron colour (liquid or powder)
Note– Please read recipe notes in the end.
Main Equipments Used
- Tefal Non-Stick set of 5: https://amzn.to/2Y7mZuX
- Induction cooktop – I use Morphy Richards 1600 Watt Cooktop. You can find it on Amazon here: https://amzn.to/2Jkn4px
Steps In Making Meethi Seviyan
- In a sauce pan over medium flame add water, sugar and saffron colour.
- Bring it to a boil and let the sugar dissolve completely. Now keep it aside.
- In a heavy bottom pan over medium flame add ghee and once it melts add almonds, cashews and raisins.
- While stirring it continuously roast them for couple of minutes or until they release a nutty aroma. Transfer them in a bowl.
- In the same pan add vermicelli and while stirring it continuously roast for 2-3 minutes or until it turns golden brown. You can add some extra ghee if needed.
- Now add the sugar syrup and mix well.
- Cover the pan with a lid and and cook for 4-5 minutes on medium flame till the water is completely absorbed and the seviyan turns soft.
- Finally add the fried dried fruits, khoya and cardamom powder and mix well.
- Serve hot or cold. Can be stored in the refrigerator for upto a week.
- Measure the ingredients correctly, else the meethi seviyan might turn soggy.
- Sugar can be replaced with the same amount of jaggery.
- Do not overcook the seviyan else they will turn soggy.
- You can use thick vermicelli too, the cooking time and the quantity of water will slightly increase.
- Please note, saffron colour is optional.
Step By Step In Pictures For Meethi Seviyan
1. In a sauce pan over medium flame add water.
2. Add sugar.
3. Add saffron colour.
4. Bring it to a boil and let the sugar dissolve completely.
5. The sugar syrup is ready now.
6. In a heavy bottom pan over medium flame add ghee and let it melt completely.
7. Now add the dry fruits and roast them for couple of minutes till they release a nutty aroma.
8. These are done, now transfer them in a bowl.
9. In the same pan add verimcili and roast for 2-3 minutes or until they turn golden brown in colour.
10. The seviyan have got a nice colour and are done now.
11. Add the prepared sugar syrup.
12. Mix everything well.
13. Cover it a lid and cook for 4-5 minutes on medium flame or until the water is completely absorbed and the seviyan turns soft.
14. The meethi seviyan are perfectly cooked now.
15. Add the fried nuts.
16. Add khoya/mawa and mix till well combined.
17. Add some cardamom powder and mix again.
18. Serve hot or cold. I love my them hot. Enjoy!