Recipe – Video
CLICK HERE to subscribe to my YouTube channel for more such yummy recipes.
- 2 cups (400g) sugar
- 1 cup (240ml) water
- 3-4 cardamoms crushed
- 15-20 saffron strands
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon rose water
- 1 cup (128g) milk powder
- ½ cup (64g) refined flour/maida
- 1 tablespoon semolina/suji/rawa
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 3 tablespoons clarified butter/ghee
- milk for kneading
Note– Please read recipe notes in the end.
Main Equipment Used
- Tefal Non-Stick set of 5: https://amzn.to/2Y7mZuX
- Induction cooktop – I use Morphy Richards 1600 Watt Cooktop. You can find it on Amazon here: https://amzn.to/2Jkn4px
Steps In Making
- Place a pan over medium flame and add sugar and water in it. Now let the sugar dissolves completely.
- Further add crushed cardamoms, saffron strands, lemon juice and mix. Let the sugar syrup cook for 5-6 minutes on medium flame till it gets a sticky consistency.
- To check, take few drops on sugar syrup in a bowl and let it cool down. Now take the sugar syrup between your fingers and check, it will have a sticky honey type consistency. Please note, we do not want one or two string consistency for this sugar syrup.
- Lastly add the rose syrup and keep the sugar syrup aside.
- To make the gulab jamun dough, in a bowl add milk powder, refined flour, baking powder and mix well.
- Now add ghee and mix till everything is well combined.
- To knead the dough, add little milk at a time. Now gently knead it till it gets a smooth texture.
- To make the gulab jamun take small portions of the dough and make small round shape gulab jamuns. Make sure there aren’t any cracks, else they might break while frying.
- To fry them, in a pan add oil or ghee and once it turns medium hot, lower the flame and add the jamuns in the oil and fry them for 6-7 minutes or until it gets a nice golden colour.
- Now transfer the gulab jamuns in hot sugar syrup and let it rest for 2-3 hours or until they soak the sugar sugar syrup and double in size.
- Serve hot or cold.
- Can be stored in the refrigerator for upto 10 days.
- While making the sugar syrup, make sure it isnt very thick, else it the gulab jamuns wont absorb the sugar syrup. If it is too thin then the gulab jamuns might break.
- Always add the gulab jamuns in hot sugar syrup, else they wont absorb the sugar syrup.
- Make sure the oil is not very hot else it wont cook from the inside. Always fry them on low flame.
- The dough should be soft and shouldn’t be dry and crumbly, else the gulab jamuns will become hard.