Skip to content
Ingredients For Moong Dal Halwa
- ½ cup (100g) ghee/clarified butter
- 2 tbsp. besan/gram flour
- 1 tbsp. suji/semolina
- ½ cup (100g) moong dal
- 2 cups (500ml) milk
- 20-22 kesar/saffron strands soaked in 2 tablespoon of warm water for 12-15 minutes
- ½ cup (100g) sugar
- 8-10 almonds
- 8-10- cashews
- 2 tbsp. raisins
- 4 green cardamoms
Main Equipments Used
Steps In Making Moong Dal Halwa
- Soak moong dal for atleast 4 hours and grind it in a mixer grinder till coarse, (don’t grind till fine paste) and do not use water while grinding, maybe a tablespoon if really needed.
- In a heavy bottom pan on a medium flame add ghee.
- After the ghee melts, add suji and atta and stir it for 2-3 minutes till slightly golden in colour.
- Now lower the flame and add the moong dal mixture in it. Keep stirring continuously, else it might form lumps
- Roast the dal for 15 minutes or till the dal gets a crumbly and sand like texture.
- Now add milk cook for 10-12 minutes or until the dal has absorbed the milk.
- Add sugar and cook for another 5-7 minutes till the sugar melts and the water is absorbed.
- Now add saffron water.
- Dal will start to release ghee. Cook till the dal gets a thick crumbly texture.
- Add the dried fruits like almonds, cashews, raisins and cardamom powder and mix well.
- Serve hot.
- Store it in the refrigerator in an airtight container for 4-5 days.
Recipe Notes For Moong Dal Halwa
- Use a heavy bottom pan or preferably a non-stick pan, as moong dal has a tendency to stick to the bottom of the pan.
- Suji and atta gives the halwa a lovely texture and prevents the moong dal from forming lumps. As lot of times when we add moong dal directly into the ghee, it may form lumps.
- While adding moong dal always lower the flame, switch it off if needed and after mixing dal and ghee properly, switch it on again. This will prevent your dal from forming lumps.
- Milk can be replaced with water. Or you can use half water and half milk.
CLICK HERE to subscribe to my YouTube channel for more such yummy recipes.
You may also like these posts