Nankhatai Recipe – Video
CLICK HERE to subscribe to my YouTube channel for more such yummy recipes.
- 1 cup (128g) refined flour/ maida
- ½ cup (60g) gram flour/ besan
- 2 tablespoons semolina/suji
- 1 cup (125g) powdered sugar
- ½ cup (120ml) clarified butter/ghee
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- ½ teaspoon cardamom/ elachai powder
- ¼ teaspoon salt
Note– Please read recipe notes in the end.
Main Equipments Used
- Tefal Non-Stick set of 5: https://amzn.to/2Y7mZuX
- Induction cooktop – I use Morphy Richards 1600 Watt Cooktop. You can find it on Amazon here: https://amzn.to/2Jkn4px
Steps In Making Nankhatai Recipe
- In a large bowl sieve refined flour, gram flour, semolina, baking powder and powdered sugar. Add salt and mix well.
- Add ghee in the above dry ingredients and knead for 3-4 minutes or till it forms a soft dough.
- Now add some cardamom powder and mix well.
- Take small portion of the dough in between your palms and form small balls.
- With a finger form a small impression in the centre of the nankhatai and garnish with chopped pistachios. Similarly make all the nankhatai’s.
- To bake them in the oven, preheat the oven to 170C for 10 Minutes. Place nankhatai on a baking tray lined with parchment paper and bake for 18-20 minutes or until light golden brown from the bottom.
- To bake them in a pan, preheat the kadai/pan for 10 minutes and cover it with a lid. Then place a stand in the pan.
- Take a plate and grease it with ghee, place the nankhatai’s in the plate and carefully put it inside the pan and cover it with a lid.
- On medium flame bake for 20-25 minutes or until light golden brown from the bottom.
- Let them cool completely before storing. Store in the refrigerator for upto 15 days.
- The ratio of refined flour, semolina and gram flour can be changed as per your taste.
- Always sieve the dry ingredients to avoid any lumps.
- If the nankhatai dough is not binding well then add some more ghee or a tablespoon of milk.
- Ghee can be replaced with dalda or butter.
- If you don’t have parchment paper then grease the tray with ghee.
- Will baking on the gas stove, never keep the flame high, else the nankhatai will burn.
Step By Step In Pictures For Nankhatai Recipe
1. In a large bowl sieve refined flour.
2. Add gram flour.
3. Add semolina.
4. Add baking powder.
5. Sieve everything together.
6. Add powdered sugar and sieve again.
7. Mix everything together.
8. Add salt and mix again.
9. Add ghee.
10. Knead a soft dough.
11. Now add cardamom powder and mix well.
12. The nankhatai dough is ready.
13. Take a small portion of the dough, roll it in between your palms and make a small ball.
14. This looks perfect.
15. Place them on a tray lined with parchment paper.
16. Similarly make the rest of the balls and with a finger put a small impression in the centre of each nankhatai.
17. Top it with some dried nuts and bake it in the middle rack of the oven at 170C for 18-20 minutes or till it’s done.
18. To bake in the pan, grease a plate with ghee.
19. Place nankhatai’s on them as we did above.
20. Put a pan or kadai on medium flame. Cover it with a lid and heat it for 10 minutes.
21. Now carefully place a stand inside it.
22. Put the plate on the stand and cover it with a lid.
23. Let it cook on medium flame for 20-25 minutes.
24. Once done, carefully remove the plate from the pan and let it cool down completely.
25. Remove the tray from the oven and let it cool down too. Nankhatai is perfectly baked.
26. Store them in an airtight container for upto 2 weeks.