- 2 medium onions roughly chopped
- 2 green chillies
- 1 teaspoon cumin seeds/jeera
- 10-12 black pepper corns/sabut kali mirch
- 2 green cardamoms/elachai
- 4 cloves/laung
- 1 bay leaf/tej patta
- 2 cups water
- 2 tablespoons ghee/clarified butter
- 1 star anise
- 1 cinnamon stick small
- 20-25 cashews soaked in water for 30 minutes
- 2 tablespoons poppy seeds/khus-khus soaked in water for 30 minutes
- 1 tablespoons ginger garlic paste
- salt to taste
- ½ teaspoon white pepper powder
- ¼ teaspoon garam masala
- 1 cup milk at room temperature
- 200g paneer cut in cubes
- 1 tablespoon kasuri methi
Note– Please read recipe notes in the end.
Main Equipment Used
- Tefal Non-Stick set of 5: https://amzn.to/2Y7mZuX
- Induction cooktop – I use Morphy Richards 1600 Watt Cooktop. You can find it on Amazon here: https://amzn.to/2Jkn4px
Steps In Making
- In a pan add roughly chopped onions, green chillies, whole spices like cumin seeds, black pepper corns, cloves, bay leaf, cardamom and water. Cover it will a lid and let it boil for 8-10 minutes till the onions become soft and translucent.
- Now drain the excess water and let it cool down for a few minutes.
- Add the above ingredients in the mixer grinder, except the bay leaf and grind into a fine paste.
- In a pan heat ghee and then add star anise and cinnamon stick.
- Now add the onion paste we prepared and cook for 7-8 minutes on medium heat.
- Meanwhile in a mixer grinder add soaked cashews and soaked poppy seeds and grind them till they form into a smooth paste.
- Once the onion paste is done, add the cashew paste and ginger garlic paste. Cook for 2-3 minutes.
- Now add salt, white pepper powder and garam masala. Mix until well combined.
- Slowly add milk and let it simmer on medium to low hear for 2-3 minutes.
- Now add panner cubes and cook for another 2 minutes. Do not over cook else the paneer might become very hard.
- Lastly add some kasuri methi on top and gently mix them together.
- Serve hot with roti and paratha.
- You can replace cashews and poppy seeds with almonds and melon seeds too.
- Never cook on high flame after adding the cashew paste else it might burn.
- I do not add fried panner but if you prefer that you can.
- You can replace milk with water too.