- 1 bunch (500g) palak/spinach
- 1 green chilli
- 2-3 tablespoons oil
- 1 teaspoon jeera/cumin seeds
- 1 tablespoon garlic finely chopped
- 1 teaspoon ginger paste
- 1 medium onion finely chopped
- 2 medium tomatoes pureed
- ¼ teaspoon haldi/turmeric powder
- ½ teaspoon kashmiri red chilli powder
- ½ teaspoon jeera/cumin powder
- salt to taste
- 250g paneer cut in cubes
- 1 tablespoon butter
Note– Please read recipe notes in the end.
Main Equipment Used
- Tefal Non-Stick set of 5: https://amzn.to/2Y7mZuX
- Induction cooktop – I use Morphy Richards 1600 Watt Cooktop. You can find it on Amazon here: https://amzn.to/2Jkn4px
Steps In Making
- To blanch the spinach in a pan add water and bring it to a boil.
- Now add the spinach and let it simmer for couple of minutes. The spinach will turn soft.
- Immediately transfer them in ice cold water so the cooking process stops and it retains it’s colour.
- Drain the excess water and transfer it in a mixer grinder along with a green chilli. Now blend till it forms into a smooth puree. Add some water if needed.
- In a pan add oil and once it turns hot add cumin seeds, garlic and ginger paste. Sauté for a minute till it gets a light golden colour.
- Now add finely chopped onions and cook them for 2-3 minutes or until they get a light golden colour.
- Further add tomato puree and cook for another 3-4 minutes or until the tomatoes are perfectly cooked.
- Now add the spices, turmeric powder, red chilli powder, cumin powder, salt and mix well. Add few tablespoons of water and cook for a minute.
- Add the spinach and mix well. Cover it with a lid and let it simmer for 3-4 minutes.
- Further add paneer and cook for another 2 -3 minutes.
- Lastly add some butter. Palak paneer is ready. Serve hot with paratha, roti, rice or naan.
- While blanching the spinach always add it in hot water and once done transfer it in cold water so it retains its green colour.
- You can add fresh cream just before the palak paneer is done.
- Never over cook the palak paneer after adding the paneer, else the paneer might turn hard.