- 4 cups whole wheat flour/atta
- ½ teaspoon salt
- water for kneading
- 1 tablespoon oil
The Filling- Aloo Masala
- 5 boiled potatoes
- 1 large onion finely chopped
- 2 green chillies finely chopped
- 1 tablespoon ginger grated
- 1 teaspoon red chilli powder
- ½ teaspoon garam masala
- 1 teaspoon roasted cumin/jeera powder
- 1 teaspoon dry mango/amchoor powder
- ½ teaspoon carom seeds/ ajwain
- 2 tablespoons fresh coriander leaves
- salt to taste
- clarified butter/ghee for cooking
Note– Please read recipe notes in the end.
Main Equipment Used
- Tefal Non-Stick set of 5: https://amzn.to/2Y7mZuX
- Induction cooktop – I use Morphy Richards 1600 Watt Cooktop. You can find it on Amazon here: https://amzn.to/2Jkn4px
Steps In Making
- In a large bowl add whole wheat flour and salt. Mix well.
- Now gradually add water and knead for 4-5 minutes until it forms into a firm dough. Make sure the dough is not very soft.
- Now add a tablespoon of oil and knead for couple of more minutes.
- Cover it with a plate or a kitchen towel and let it rest for 2 hours in the refrigerator or room temperature.
The Filling- Aloo Masala
- In a large bowl add boiled potatoes and mash them with the help of a masher.
- Add finely chopped onions, green chillies, grated ginger, red chilli powder, garam masala, cumin powder, amchoor powder, ajwain, fresh coriander, salt and mix till everything is well combined. The filling for the aloo paratha is ready.
- If you are making the aloo parathas now then add salt and mix well, else add it just before you want to make them else they will release water and become soft.
To Prepare Aloo Paratha
- To make the aloo parathas take a medium size dough ball and dust it with some flour. With the help of a rolling pin, roll it into a small paratha, add some ghee in the center and spread it evenly.
- Now take the aloo masala filling and form into a round ball and put it in the center of the paratha we rolled.
- Now fold it as shown in the video and roll it into a thick aloo paratha. Similarly make the rest of the parathas.
- Heat a tawa on medium flame and then transfer the paratha on the tawa. Once you see tiny bubbles on top, flip the paratha and cook it from other side too.
- Add a spoonful of ghee on the aloo paratha and spread it evenly. Gently press with the help of a spatula and cook till it gets a light golden colour on each sides.
- Similarly make the rest of the aloo parathas.
- Serve hot with butter, curd, pickle or a curry of your choice.
- While preparing the dough make sure its not very soft else the aloo parathas might break while rolling them.
- Let the dough rest for minimum of 2 hours before making the parathas.
- While making the masala add finely chopped onions and green chillies else the parathas might break while rolling.