If there is one Indian sweet that is easy to make and can be made with the most simple ingredients present at home is rice kheer. Everyone in my family loves this rice kheer recipe, some prefer it hot while I love my kheer chilled. This rice kheer recipe is thick and creamy with the perfect sweetness. Give it a try and you will love it!
Rice Kheer Recipe – Video
CLICK HERE to subscribe to my YouTube channel for more such yummy recipes.
- 4 cups (1litre) milk
- ½ cup (75g) white rice
- ¾ cup (150g) granulated sugar
- 8-10 chopped almonds
- 8-10 chopped cashews
- 1 tablespoon chironji
- ½ teaspoon cardamom powder
- 50g khoya/mawa (optional)
Note– Please read recipe notes in the end.
Steps In Making Rice Kheer
- Soak rice in 1 cup water for around 30 minutes and keep it aside.
- In a heavy bottom or non stick pan/kadai add milk and bring it to a boil. Keep stirring it occasionally for around 5 minutes on medium flame.
- Add soaked rice and while stirring it continuously, cook for around 15-20 minutes or until the rice is cooked and turns soft. Keep scraping the sides of the pan/kadai occasionally to remove the malai.
- Now add sugar and cook for another 8-10 minutes till the sugar dissolves completely.
- Further add cardamom powder along with cashews, almonds and chirongi.
- Finally add khoya and cook for 8-10 minutes till it becomes slightly thick. Don’t over cook, because kheer turns thick after it cools down.
- Serve hot or cold.
Main Equipments Used
- Tefal Non-Stick set of 3: https://amzn.to/2Y7mZuX
- Induction cooktop – I use Morphy Richards 1600 Watt Cooktop. You can find it on Amazon here: https://amzn.to/2Jkn4px
- Can use basmati, tukda or any good quality white rice.
- Full fat milk gives a thick and creamy texture this rice kheer.
- If you don’t have khoya then you can add ¼ cup of malai for a creamy texture.
- After adding the rice, keep stirring it else it might stick to the bottom of the pan, as rice has a tendency to stick because of the starch present in it.
- Always add sugar after the rice is cooked else it will slower the cooking process of rice.
- Add any dry fruits of your choice, like pistachios, raisins or walnuts.
Step By Step In Pictures For Kheer
1. In a heavy bottom or non stick add milk and bring it to a boil.
2. Now keep stirring it occasionally cook for around 5 minutes on medium flame and scrape the sides of the pan.
3. Add soaked rice in it and while stirring it continuously, cook for around 15-20 minutes or until the rice is cooked and turns soft.
4. The rice has cooked now.
5. Now add sugar and cook for another 8-10 minutes till the sugar dissolves completely and the kheer thickens.
6. Add cardamom powder.
7. Add cashews.
8. Add almonds.
9. Add chironji.
10. Finally add khoya/mawa and keep stirring it for 8-10 more minutes till it becomes slightly thick.
11. Don’t over cook, because kheer turns thick after it cools down.
12. Serve hot or cold.