Seviyan Kheer Recipe – Video
CLICK HERE to subscribe to my YouTube channel for more such yummy recipes.
- 4 cups milk (1litre)
- ¾ cup (75g) thick vermicelli/seviyan
- ½ cup (100g) sugar
- 1 tablespoon clarified butter/ghee
- 2 tablespoons raisins
- 10-12 almonds roughly chopped
- 10-12 cashews roughly chopped
- ½ teaspoon cardamom/elachai powder
Note– Please read recipe notes in the end.
Main Equipments Used
- Tefal Non-Stick set of 5: https://amzn.to/2Y7mZuX
- Induction cooktop – I use Morphy Richards 1600 Watt Cooktop. You can find it on Amazon here: https://amzn.to/2Jkn4px
Steps In Making
- In a heavy bottom pan over medium heat add ghee and once it melts add the vermicelli.
- Stirring it continuously roast the vermicelli for around 2 minutes or until it turns golden brown in colour and releases an aromatic smell.
- In another pan add milk and bring it to a boil.
- Add the roasted vermicelli in the milk and cook for around 15 minutes or until the vermicelli is cooked. It will double in size.
- Add sugar, cardamom powder, almonds, cashews and while stirring it continuously cook or around 5-8 minutes or util the sugar dissolves completely and the kheer turns slightly thick.
- Serve hot or cold.
- Can be stored in the refrigerator for up to a week.
- Don’t overcook the seviyan kheer as it thickens after cooling.
- Thick vermicelli can be replaced with fine vermicelli.
- You can dry roast the vermicelli without ghee. I prefer adding ghee as it gives a nice flavour.
- Always roast vermicelli on medium flame and keep stirring it continuously, else it may burn.
Step By Step In Pictures For
1. In a pan over medium flame add ghee and heat it.
2. Now add the vermicelli and roast for 2 minutes or until golden brown in colour.
3. The vermicelli is perfectly cooked now. It will release an aromatic smell too.
4. In another heavy bottom pan add milk and bring it to a boil.
5. Now add the roasted vermicelli in it and cook for around 15 minutes or until the seviyan are perfectly cooked.
6. Right now they are raw and once they cook they will almost double in size.
7. The seviyan are perfectly cooked now and the milk has also thickened.
8. Add sugar and cook for 4-5 minutes or till the sugar dissolves completely.
9. Now add cardamom powder.
10. Add chopped cashews.
11.Further add chopped almonds.
12. Finally add raisins and give it a good mix.
13. The seviyan kheer is completely cooked now.
14. Serve hot or cold. enjoy!