- 1½ cups soya chunks
- 3 cups hot water
- 2 tablespoons oil
- 6-8 cashews/kaju
- 1 bay leaf/tej patta
- 1 teaspoon cumin seeds/jeera
- ¼ teaspoon black pepper corns/ sabut kali mirch
- 4 cloves/laung
- 1 mace/javitri
- 1 small cinnamon stick/dal chini
- 1 star anise/chakra phool
- 1 tablespoon ginger and garlic
- 1 large onion
- 2 green chillies
- 1 medium carrot
- 1 cup green peas
- Salt to taste
- ½ teaspoon red chilli powder
- ½ teaspoon garam masala
- 1 tablespoon coriander powder
- ½ teaspoon cumin powder
- 1 cup rice
- 1½ cups water
- 2 tablespoons fresh coriander
- 1 tablespoon clarified butter/ghee
Note– Please read recipe notes in the end.
Main Equipment Used
- Tefal Non-Stick set of 5: https://amzn.to/2Y7mZuX
- Induction cooktop – I use Morphy Richards 1600 Watt Cooktop. You can find it on Amazon here: https://amzn.to/2Jkn4px
Steps In Making
- In a large bowl add soya chunks and hot water. Let the soya chunks rest in the hot water for10 minutes.
- Once done they will become soft, double in size and absorb the water. Now squeeze all the water from the soya chunks and keep them aside.
- Heat oil in a pressure cooker and then add cashews and sauté them for a minute or until it turns light golden in colour. Once done remove them in a plate.
- In the same oil add all the whole spices and sauté them for few seconds. Now add the chopped ginger and garlic and sauté for a minute.
- Now add the sliced onions and cook them for 3-4 minutes or until they get light brown colour.
- Further add chopped carrots, peas, soaked soya chunks and salt. Mix till everything is well combined and cook them for 2 minutes.
- Further add red chilli powder, coriander powder, garam masala and cumin powder. Add some water if needed. Now sauté the soya chunks and the vegetables in the masalas for 2-3 minutes.
- Now add rice (which was soaked in water for 30 minutes), water, roasted cashews, fresh coriander and ghee. Mix well.
- Pressure cook on medium heat till it gets one whistle.
- Soya pulao is ready. Serve hot with raita.
- You can add any vegetable of your choice.
- Do not skip the whole spices as they will add great aroma and flavour to this soya pulao.
- You can use ginger and garlic paste too.