Mumbai’s tava pulav is one of the most famous street food. You will find many street vendors and small shops across Mumbai selling this delicious tava pulav. It’s a quick and simple recipe with one secret ingredient which makes it unique and completely street style. Check my recipe below to find more about it.
- 3 tablespoons oil
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 1 teaspoon cumin seeds
- 1 teaspoon ginger, finely chopped
- 1 large onion, sliced
- 3 large tomatoes roughly chopped
- 1 large capsicum, sliced
- 1½ cup cabbage, sliced
- ¼ cup boiled peas
- 3 large boiled potatoes, diced
- ½ teaspoon jeera/cumin powder
- ½ teaspoon garam masala
- 2 tablespoons pav bhaji masala
- 2 large cups boiled white rice
- 3 tablespoons fresh coriander
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- salt to taste
Red Chilli Garlic Paste
- 10-12 dried red chillies
- ¼ cup garlic cloves
Note– Please read recipe notes in the end.
Main Equipment Used
- Tefal Non-Stick set of 5: https://amzn.to/2Y7mZuX
- Induction cooktop – I use Morphy Richards 1600 Watt Cooktop. You can find it on Amazon here: https://amzn.to/2Jkn4px
Steps In Making
Red Chilli Garlic Paste
- Cut the dried red chillies into 2 pieces and remove all the seeds.
- Soak them in hot water for 30 minutes and later drain the excess water.
- Add the chillies in a mixer grinder along with the peeled garlic cloves and grind till it forms into a paste. The red chilli garlic paste is ready.
- To make the taw pulav take a large pan or a tawa and add oil and butter in it.
- Once the butter melts, add the cumin seeds and chopped ginger and toss for a minute.
- Now add onions and cook them for 2-3 minutes or until they turn translucent.
- Add tomatoes and salt and mix well. Now let it cook till the tomatoes become soft.
- Further add 3 tablespoons of the chilli garlic paste we prepared earlier and mix well. You can increase the quantity if you extra spice.
- Now add the sliced capsicum, cabbage, peas and cook for 2-3 minutes.
- Add all the dried spices like, pav bhaji masala, garam masala, jeera powder and mix well. Add 4-5 tablespoons of water and let the veggies cook with the masala for 3-4 minutes.
- Once done, add two large cups of boiled rice and mix until the rice is well coated with all the masala. Cover it with a lid and cook 2-3 more minutes
- Lastly top it with some butter, lemon juice and fresh coriander mix
- Serve hot with raita, papad and salad.
- You can add any veggies of your choice.
- If you like extra spice then add more extra red chilli paste along with some chilli powder.
CLICK HERE to subscribe to my YouTube channel for more such yummy recipes.
- Street Style Pav Bhaji recipe
- Street Style Tava Burger recipe
- Street Style Chocolate & Cheese Sandwich recipe
I love your recipes.
Thank you, hope you get to try some of them.. enjoy
Loved making the pulao in the cooker. Saves so much time. Tried for the first time. Thanks dear.
How do we dry methi, green coriander to store?
Hi Dr Asha,
So happy to know you enjoyed making the pulao in the pressure cooker. I have been making this way since years now, hassle free.
Have shared the coriander storage, will share for methi soon.