Mumbai’s tava pulav is one of the most famous street food. You will find many street vendors and small shops across Mumbai selling this delicious tava pulav. It’s a quick and simple recipe with one secret ingredient which makes it unique and completely street style. Check my recipe below to find more about it.
- 3 tablespoons oil
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 1 teaspoon cumin seeds
- 1 teaspoon ginger, finely chopped
- 1 large onion, sliced
- 3 large tomatoes roughly chopped
- 1 large capsicum, sliced
- 1½ cup cabbage, sliced
- ¼ cup boiled peas
- 3 large boiled potatoes, diced
- ½ teaspoon jeera/cumin powder
- ½ teaspoon garam masala
- 2 tablespoons pav bhaji masala
- 2 large cups boiled white rice
- 3 tablespoons fresh coriander
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- salt to taste
Red Chilli Garlic Paste
- 10-12 dried red chillies
- ¼ cup garlic cloves
Note– Please read recipe notes in the end.
Main Equipment Used
- Tefal Non-Stick set of 5: https://amzn.to/2Y7mZuX
- Induction cooktop – I use Morphy Richards 1600 Watt Cooktop. You can find it on Amazon here: https://amzn.to/2Jkn4px
Steps In Making
Red Chilli Garlic Paste
- Cut the dried red chillies into 2 pieces and remove all the seeds.
- Soak them in hot water for 30 minutes and later drain the excess water.
- Add the chillies in a mixer grinder along with the peeled garlic cloves and grind till it forms into a paste. The red chilli garlic paste is ready.
- To make the taw pulav take a large pan or a tawa and add oil and butter in it.
- Once the butter melts, add the cumin seeds and chopped ginger and toss for a minute.
- Now add onions and cook them for 2-3 minutes or until they turn translucent.
- Add tomatoes and salt and mix well. Now let it cook till the tomatoes become soft.
- Further add 3 tablespoons of the chilli garlic paste we prepared earlier and mix well. You can increase the quantity if you extra spice.
- Now add the sliced capsicum, cabbage, peas and cook for 2-3 minutes.
- Add all the dried spices like, pav bhaji masala, garam masala, jeera powder and mix well. Add 4-5 tablespoons of water and let the veggies cook with the masala for 3-4 minutes.
- Once done, add two large cups of boiled rice and mix until the rice is well coated with all the masala. Cover it with a lid and cook 2-3 more minutes
- Lastly top it with some butter, lemon juice and fresh coriander mix
- Serve hot with raita, papad and salad.
- You can add any veggies of your choice.
- If you like extra spice then add more extra red chilli paste along with some chilli powder.
CLICK HERE to subscribe to my YouTube channel for more such yummy recipes.
- Street Style Pav Bhaji recipe
- Street Style Tava Burger recipe
- Street Style Chocolate & Cheese Sandwich recipe