This Tutti Frutti recipe is so simple and easy to make at home that you will never buy a store bought. It’s made with raw papaya and is mainly used in desserts, cakes, cookies and ice creams. Not only do they add extra sweetness to your dessert recipes, they also give a nice bite. This candied fruit is so famous in India that there are special cookies made with it. So what are you waiting for, give this recipe a try. I have made my favourite Tutti Frutti Cake using these. Do check that out! Bon appetite!
Trutti Frutti – Recipe Video
CLICK HERE to subscribe to my YouTube channel and check out all my yummy recipes.
Ingredients For Tutti Frutti
- 500g raw papaya
- 2 cups (400g) Sugar
- 6½ cup (1.5 litre ) water
- 1 teaspoon vanilla essence
- 1 teaspoon food colour of each – yellow, red, green.
Main Equipments Used
- Heavy bottom pan – I use the Prestige Granite 3-pcs set. You can find it on Amazon here: https://amzn.to/2Q0OMu6
- Induction cooktop – I use Morphy Richards 1600 Watt Cooktop. You can find it on Amazon here: https://amzn.to/2Jkn4px
Ingredients For Tutti Frutti
- Peel the raw papaya, remove the seeds and then cut them into small cubes.
- In a large pan add 4 cup (960ml) of water and bring it to a boil. Now add the chopped papaya and let them boil for 5 minutes. The papaya will become translucent it colour.
- Sieve the papaya and drain the excess water and keep it aside.
- In the same pan add 2½ cup (600ml) of water and sugar. Once the sugar melts completely add the blanched papayas.
- Cover the pan with a lid and cook for atleast 20 minutes on medium flame while stirring it occasionally.
- Let the sugar syrup reach 1 string consistency and then add vanilla essence and mix.
- Take 3 bowls and equally divide the papaya and sugar syrup into 3 parts.
- Add the food colour in each bowls and mix well.
- Now let them rest for 24 hours.
- The papaya will absorb all the colour and sugar syrup.
- Drain off the excess sugar syrup and remove the tutti frutti into a kitchen towel and let it dry for atleast 5-6 hours or till it dries completely.
- Store the tutti frutti in an airtight container in the refrigerator for upto 45 days.
Recipe Notes For Tutti Frutti
- Don’t over cook the sugar syrup, else the tutti frutti will form thick sugar crystals on it.
- Let the papaya soak in sugar syrup for 24 hours for proper absorption of sugar syrup and colour
- Make sure to dry the tutti frutti completely before storing it.
Step By Step In Pictures For Tutti Frutti
1. Peel the papaya.
2. Cut it into two and remove all the seeds.
3. Chop them into small cubes and keep them aside.
4. In a pan add water and bring it to a boil.
5. Once it boils add the papaya and cook for 5 minutes.
6. They will become translucent.
7. Drain off the excess water and keep it aside.
8. In the same pan add water, sugar and cook till the sugar melts completely.
9. Now add the blanched papaya in it.
10. Cover with a lid and cook for around 20 minutes, till the papaya becomes soft.
11. The papaya will slightly shrink in size.
12. Check the 1 string consistency of the sugar syrup. Once done, switch off the flame. Don’t overcook.
13. Divide the sugar syrup and papaya equally in 3 parts.
14. Now add the vanilla essence in all the 3 bowls. (I forgot to add it earlier, you can add it before dividing them.
15. Now add the food colour in all the 3 bowls.
14. Let them rest for atleast 24 hours.
15. The papaya has completely absorbed the sugar syrup and food colour.
16. Drain off the excess sugar syrup.
17. Remove the tutti frutti on a kitchen towel/ tissue so it absorbs the excess liquid.
18. Transfer it on a plate and let it dry completely for approximately 8-10 hours.
19. The tutti frutti has dried completely.
20. Store it in the refrigerator in the air-tight container for upto 45 days.
CLICK HERE to subscribe to my YouTube channel for more such yummy recipes.