This Eggless Black Forest Cake Recipe is one of my personal favourites as it has the rich taste of a chocolatey sponge, tartness of cherries and the creaminess of whipped cream. Do read my recipe till the end of watch the video below for tips and tricks on how to make the perfect eggless black forest cake.
Eggless Black Forest Cake – Recipe Video
CLICK HERE to subscribe to my YouTube channel for more such yummy recipes.
Ingredients For Eggless Black Forest Cake
- 1 ½ cups (195g) refined flour/maida
- ¼ cup (25g) unsweetened cocoa powder (not dutch-processed)
- ¼ teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon coffee powder
- 1 cup (200g) castor sugar
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- 1/3 cup (75g) unsalted melted butter (if using salted butter, then skip the salt in the recipe)
- 1 tablespoon (15ml) lemon juice or vinegar
- 1 cup (240 ml) warm water
- 1 teaspoon (5ml) vanilla essence
Whipped Cream Frosting
- 2 cups (480ml) full fat whipping cream
- 2 tablespoon (30g) powdered/ icing sugar
- ½ cup (87g) dark chocolate
- ½ cup (100g) canned cherries
- 10-12 glazed/fresh cherries for garnishing
Main Equipments Used
- OTG – I use Bajaj 35-litre oven. You can find it on Amazon, here: https://amzn.to/2Q0OumQ
- Induction cooktop – I use Morphy Richards 1600 Watt Cooktop. You can find it on Amazon here: https://amzn.to/2Jkn4px
- Philips Hand Mixer – Buy on Amazon here: https://amzn.to/2ZrTmXp
- Kitchen Weighing Scale – A must for measuring ingredients. I bought this one from Amazon: https://amzn.to/2U1BcMe
- Revolving Cake Stand – Helpful in cake decoration. Buy any from Amazon. This one is a best-seller: https://amzn.to/2AJlmtS
- Offset Spatula – Nothing compares to this when it comes to frosting a cake. You can buy this one from Amazon: https://amzn.to/2PcDKAE
- Glass Mixing Bowls – Buy on Amazon here: https://amzn.to/2UjHgMz
Steps In Making Eggless Black Forest Cake
- Preheat the oven to 170C (338F) and grease 7 inch cake tin with oil and line it with parchment paper. (If you don’t have parchment paper then dust it with cocoa powder or refined flour.
- In a large bowl sift together all the dry ingredients like refined flour, cocoa powder, salt, baking soda and baking powder. Now add sugar and mix.
- In another bowl add all the liquid ingredients like melted butter, warm water and vanilla essence and pour them into the dry ingredients and gently mix till well incorporated. Don’t overmix or the cake might turn hard.
- Pour the batter into the prepared cake tin. Now place it in middle rack of the oven and bake for 25-30 minutes or until toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.
- Remove the cake from the pan and let it cool down completely on a wire rack.
Whipped Cream Frosting
- In a chilled bowl add the chilled whipping cream and powdered sugar and whip it with a hand beater for 3-4 minutes or until it forms stiff peaks. (Start with low speed and then increase it to high)
- You can also use a whisk but it will take longer time to whip.
Assembling the cake
- If the cake top is not flat then with the help of a serrated knife slice a thin layer off the top.
- Place the cake on a cake stand and cut the cake into two layers. Place one layer on a plate and on the other layer evenly spread some cherry syrup with the help of a brush.
- Now put some whipped cream on it and spread it evenly with an offset spatula.
- Generously spread some canned pitted cherries evenly on the cake.
- Add another half of the cake and once again brush the cake with the cherry syrup and then cover it with whipped cream covering the top and the sides. Try to smoothen it as much as possible.
- After the first crumb coating, keep the cake in the refrigerator for atleast half an hour to firm up.
- While the cake is resting in the refrigerator, prepare the chocolate shavings, by finely cutting them in any small pieces with a knife. (Once done, keep it in the refrigerator so it doesn’t melt.)
- Once the cake has firmed up, evenly spread the final layer of frosting on the entire cake.
- In a piping bag fitted with a large star nozzle add some whipping cream and pipe rosettes (any design of your choice) on top of the cake.
- Finally garnish with some glazed cherries and chocolate.
- Rest the cake in the fridge for atleast an hour before slicing it. As this will help the flavours to mix and the cake to firm up.
- Store your black forest cake in the refrigerator for upto 4 days and bring the it to room temperature before eating.
Recipe Notes: For Eggless Black Forest Cake
- Always preheat the oven for at least 10 minutes before baking.
- Fresh cream won’t work, we need full fat whipping cream.
- Before whipping the cream make sure the cream and the bowl is chilled. (Keep the bowl and the blades of the hand beater in the refrigerator for 30 minutes)
- Whip the cream till it forms stiff peaks, don’t over whip.
- If the whipped cream becomes runny then put it in the freezer for sometime and whip it once again till it firms up.
- Always brush your cake with cherry syrup or sugar syrup before frosting, this will keep your cake moist.
Step By Step In Pictures For Eggless Black Forest Cake
- Grease 7 inch cake tin with oil and line it with parchment paper.
2. In a bowl add warm water.
3. Add instant coffee powder mixed with a tablespoon of hot water.
4. Add vanilla essence.
5. Add vinegar.
6. Add melted butter.
7. Mix everything together.
8. For the dry ingredients, sieve refined flour.
9. Sieve cocoa powder.
10. Sieve baking powder.
11. Sieve baking soda.
12. Sieve salt.
13. Now add castor sugar.
14. Mix everything until well combined.
15. Pour the wet ingredients into the dry ingredients.
16. Gently mix them until everything is well combined. Do not over mix.
17. Now pour the chocolate cake batter into the prepared cake tin.
18. Tap to remove any air bubbles. Bake for 25-30 minutes or until toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.
19. Remove the eggless chocolate sponge cake from the pan and let it cool down completely on a wire rack.
Assembling The Black Forest Cake
20. Remove all the seeds from the canned cherries.
21. Before whipping the cream, make sure to keep the bowl and the blades in the refrigerator for atleast 30 minutes.
22. Now add chilled whipping cream in the chilled bowl.
23. On low speed beat for a minute.
24. Now sieve the powdered sugar and add into the whipping cream. Beat for another 3-4 minutes, till it forms stiff peaks.
25. The stiff peaks have formed. Now keep the bowl in the refrigerator till we cut the cake.
26. Place the chocolate sponge cake on a cake stand. If the cake top is not flat then with the help of a serrated knife slice a thin layer off the top and cut the cake into two layers.
27. Place one layer on a plate and on the other layer on the cake stand.
28. With the help of a brush evenly spread the cherry syrup on the cake.
29. Now put some whipped cream on it and spread it evenly with an offset spatula.
30. Generously spread some canned pitted cherries evenly on the cake.
31. Now cover it with another cake layer.
32. Evenly brush some cherry syrup on it.
33. Spread the whipped cream on the top and sides of the cake and smoothen it.
34. Cover the sides evenly.
35. After the first crumb coating, keep the cake in the refrigerator for at least half an hour to firm up.
36. Now prepare the chocolate shavings, by finely cutting them in any small pieces with a knife.
37. Now keep them in the refrigerator, so it doesn’t melt.
38. Once the cake has firmed up, evenly spread the final layer of frosting on the entire cake.
39. Take a piping bag and a large start nozzle.
40. Put the piping bag in a glass and fill it with the whipped cream.
41. Cut the tip of the piping bag with the scissors.
42. Pipe rosettes or any design of our choice on the top of the cake.
43. Garnish it with glazed cherries.
44. Add chocolate shavings.
45. You can pipe the borders too (optional). Let the cake rest in the fridge for at least an hour before slicing it as this will help the flavours to mix and the cake to firm up.
In morfiy rechard oven which heating rood should on
Use the baking mode and place the cake in the middle rack. Enjoy.
Amazing…I will try…I don’t eat eggs… Very happy to find this recipe
Oh yes so many people don’t eat eggs, this is a perfect eggless recipe, very moist and delicious. Do let me know how the cake turned out. Enjoy!
Which rack to place cake in otg? If I place in last rack just before element it gets black in the bottom so am asking
When ever baking cakes, always place the tin in the middle rack for even baking, If you will place it on the last rack then the bottom of the cake will bake faster than the top and hence burn. If you ever feel the top of the cake has browned more but the center of the cake is still not baked properly, then cover the top of the cake with an aluminium foil and bake. Hope this solves your query.
Couldn’t find the link for whipping cream..
I have mentioned the whipping cream link in my YouTube video description box. Please check the description box details. Cheers!
Oh am totally convinced that this is very very perfect receipe & method. When I shall bake wl surely give tou good news. Rgds. Ramesh
Thank you so much! This is my go to recipe, I make it all the time.. And yes would love to know how it turned out. Happy baking 🙂
vry nic nd recipe..could u plz tell me if i want 1/2kg
nd 1 kg cake what size tin should i use ?
This cake will be more than half kg. Also, I measure cake depending on the pan size and not weight. For e.g. it’s a 8 inch cake or a 9 inch cake.
Can I use apple cider vinegar instead of vinegar
Yes you use apple cider vinegar.
Hi can I use refined oil in place of unsalted butter? Will the quantity vary?
Yes you can replace butter with any flavourless oil and the quantity remains the same.
Hi Aarti ma’am
I want to know how to pre heat an oven before placing the cake inside the oven and also want to know the timer required for the a black forest cake.
Kindly reply me with the same.
For preheating, set the oven temperature (as per the recipe) switch on the oven and keep it on the baking mode. Now let it preheat for 10-15 minutes. Once it’s preheated then put the cake inside the oven to bake. The baking time for this black forest cake is mentioned in the post. It’s 25-30 minutes or until toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. Enjoy
can you make something eggless, especially brownies…
plzz its my request
Sure. I will be sharing an eggless chocolate fudgy brownies in the coming month positively. It’s already on my list.
Can a whip cream powder be an alternate solution?
Yes, you can use it.