Yummy Eggless Sugarfree Whole Wheat Cake that is a healthy alternative to any tea cake made with refined flour. Go ahead and gorge on some wholesome dessert!
- 1½ cups (192g) whole wheat flour/aata
- ½ cup (100g) jaggery/gud
- ½ cup (120g) curd
- 1/3 cup (80ml) milk
- 1/2 cup (120ml) oil (any flavourless oil) canola or sunflower
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- ½ teaspoon baking soda
- ½ teaspoon cardamom powder
- ½ teaspoon nutmeg powder
- 2 tablespoons tutti frutti
- ¼ cup almonds
- ¼ cup black currants
Note– Please read recipe notes in the end.
Main Equipments Used
- Tefal Non-Stick set of 5: https://amzn.to/2Y7mZuX
- Induction cooktop – I use Morphy Richards 1600 Watt Cooktop. You can find it on Amazon here: https://amzn.to/2Jkn4px
Steps In Making
- Preheat the oven at 160C (320F) for 10 minutes, placing the rack in the center of the oven. Now grease a loaf pan 9 x 5 x 3 inch with butter and line it with a parchment paper and keep it aside.
- In a large bowl add finely chopped or grated jaggery, curd and oil. Now with the help of a whisk, beat them well until well combined and the jaggery melts completely.
- Sieve all the dry ingredients like- whole wheat flour, baking powder, baking soda, cardamom powder, and nutmeg powder and gently fold them into the wet ingredients.
- In another bowl add the dried fruits- almonds, black currants and tutti frutti. Now add around 2 tablespoons of whole wheat flour and coat the dried nuts and fruits in it.
- Add the above dried fruits into the batter and give it a gently mix.
- Add milk in two batches and mix till everything is just combined. Do not over mix.
- Now pour the cake batter in the prepared loaf pan.
- Smoothen the top with the back of a spoon and tap couple of times to remove any air bubbles.
- Top it with some chopped almonds and bake it in a preheated oven for 35-40 minutes at 160C or until a toothpick inserted in the center of the cake comes out clean.
- Once the cake has baked let it cool down for around 10-15 minutes before removing it from the loaf pan.
- Serve warm or cold. Store in an airtight container in the refrigerator for upto 10 days.
- All ingredients used in this recipe should be at room temperature.
- You can take powdered jaggery too.
- After adding the flour don’t over beat the batter, else the cake might turn hard.
- Always coat the dried fruits with the flour, else they might settle at the bottom of the cake after baking.
- You can use any dried fruits or nuts of your choice, just keep the total measurements same.
- This cake tastes better the next day, as the flavours get time to incorporate. Also the top layer and the crumbs might be slightly hard on the same day. But if you can’t resist you can eat it on the same day too.
- Bake the cake on bake mode and place it in the center rack so it gets even heat from all sides.
Step By Step Pictures
1. In a large bowl add jaggery, curd and oil.
2. With the help of a whisk, mix till everything is well combined and the jaggery is completely dissolved.
3. The wet ingredient mixture has got a fine texture as the jaggery has completed melted.
4. In a small bowl add the chopped almonds, black currants and tutti frutti.
5. Now add refined flour and mix till all the dried fruits and nuts are well coated with it. Now keep it aside.
6. Now in a sieve add refined flour.
7. Baking soda.
8. Add baking powder.
10. Add the nutmeg powder.
11. Add cardamom powder.
12. Sieve all the dried ingredients and mix them with the wet ingredients.
13. Gently mix till combined.
14. Add the dried fruits and nuts and mix.
15. Now add milk in two batched and mix till well combined.
16. The batter looks perfect, it will have a thick consistency.
17. Pour the cake batter in a greased tin lined with parchment paper.
18. Smoothen the top with the back of the spoon.
19. Top it with some chopped almonds and bake it in a preheated oven for 35-40 minutes at 160C or until a toothpick inserted in the center of the cake comes out clean.
20. Once the cake has baked let it cool down for around 10-15 minutes before removing it from the loaf pan.