We all love caramel popcorn and end up ordering them in a movie theatre. Did you know you can easily make them at home with minimum ingredients at minimum cost. These are flavourful and just tastes just like the ones we get in the theaters. Do check out my Butter & Cheese Popcorn recipe too.
- ½ cup corn kernels/makai ke dane
- 1 tablespoon oil
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1 cup sugar
- 2 tablespoons butter
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon baking soda
Note– Please read recipe notes in the end.
Main Equipment Used
- Tefal Non-Stick set of 5: https://amzn.to/2Y7mZuX
- Induction cooktop – I use Morphy Richards 1600 Watt Cooktop. You can find it on Amazon here: https://amzn.to/2Jkn4px
Steps In Making
- Place a large kadai over medium flame and add oil and butter.
- Once the butter starts to melt add corn kernels and mix well.
- After a minute the corn will start to swell up which means it will begin to pop.
- Cover it with a lid till and let all the corn pops.
- Keep moving the pan in between so the corns don’t burn at the bottom.
- Place a pan over low to medium flame and add sugar in it.
- Do not stir till all the sugar melts completely, else it will crystalize.
- Once the sugar melts it will get a light golden colour.
- Now add butter and mix well.
- Further add salt and baking soda and mix again. It will form a slightly frothy texture.
- Now switch off the flame add the popcorns and with the help of a spoon mix till all the popcorns are well coated with the caramel. Do not touch them directly, as the caramel will be very hot.
- Transfer them on a plate and let them cool down completely before eating.
- Do not cook the popcorns in a small pan else all the corns wont swell up properly.
- Do not cook the popcorns on high flame, else the corn will burn.
- Always caramelizes the sugar on low flame else it will burn.
- Do not touch the caramel with hand.