Recipe – Video For Lauki Halwa
CLICK HERE to subscribe to my YouTube channel for more such yummy recipes.
- ½ kg bottle gaurd/lauki/dudi
- 2 cups (480ml) milk
- ½ cup (100g) sugar
- 3 tablespoons clarified butter/ghee
- 8-10 cashews/kaju (roughly chopped)
- 8-10 almonds/badaam (roughly chopped)
- 8-10 pistachios/pista (roughly chopped)
- ½ teaspoon cardammom/ elachai powder
Note– Please read recipe notes in the end.
Main Equipments Used
- Tefal Non-Stick set of 5: https://amzn.to/2Y7mZuX
- Induction cooktop – I use Morphy Richards 1600 Watt Cooktop. You can find it on Amazon here: https://amzn.to/2Jkn4px
Steps In Making Lauki Halwa
- In a pan over medium add add ghee and once it melts add grated lauki/dudi.
- Cover it with a lid and while stirring it occasionally in between cook for around 5 minutes. The lauki will slightly lighten in colour and reduce in size.
- Now add milk and mix well. Cover it with a lid and cook for 8-10 minutes till the milk is completely absorbed by lauki and it becomes soft in texture. Stir occasionally to avoid it from sticking to the pan.
- Once cooked, add sugar. Once the sugar melts it will release water, cook for 5-6 minutes or util the water is completely absorbed by the lauki.
- Now add all the dried fruits like pistachios, almonds, cashews, raisins and cardamom powder and mix till well combined.
- Finally add some ghee and cook for another 3-4 minutes while stirring it constantly.
- The lauki halwa is ready to be served.
- Store it in an airtight container in the refrigerator for upto a week. Enjoy!
- Always use a thin and tender lauki as big lauki have lots of seeds in it. Remove the centre part of the lauki while grating it to avoid any seeds.
- Before using lauki taste it a little as sometimes lauki has a bitter taste. In that case don’t use it.
- You can add khoya/mawa too after the milk is absorbed completely.
- Use full fat or low fat milk for this lauki halwa recipe.
Step By Step In Pictures For Lauki Halwa
- In a pan over medium flame add ghee and once it melts add the grated lauki.
2. Cover the lid and cook for 5-6 minutes while occasionally stirring it in between.
3. The lauki will become light in colour.
4. Add milk.
5. Mix well and cook for 8-10 minutes.
6. Cover it with a lid and keep stirring it in between to avoid it from sticking to the pan.
7. The milk will begin to boil, cook for 8-10 minutes or till the milk is completely absorbed by the lauki.
8. The lauki is cooked now and the milk has been absorbed.
9. Add sugar.
10. Once the sugar melts it will release water, cook for 5-6 minutes or util the water is completely absorbed by the lauki.
11. The lauki is completely cooked now.
12. Add all the dried fruits like, pistachios, cashews, almonds and raisins.
13. Add cardamom powder and mix well.
14. Lastly add two tablespoon of ghee and while stirring it continuously cook the lauki halwa for 3-4 minutes.
15. The halwa is ready now.
16. Serve hot or cold. I like my lauki halwa to be hot.