- 2 tablespoons oil
- 2 medium onions roughly chopped
- 2 green chillies
- 3 medium tomatoes roughly chopped
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- 2 tablespoons oil
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 small cinnamon stick
- 10-12 black pepper corns
- 4 cloves
- 1 tablespoon ginger garlic paste
- 1 teaspoon Kashmiri red chilli powder
- 1 tablespoon coriander powder
- ¼ teaspoon turmeric powder
- ½ teaspoon cumin powder
- ¼ teaspoon garam masala
- 1 cup peas
- 200g paneer/cottage cheese cut in cubes
- 1 teaspoon dried kasuri methi
- 2 tablespoons fresh coriander
- 1 teaspoon clarified butter/ghee
Note– Please read recipe notes in the end.
Main Equipment Used
- Tefal Non-Stick set of 5: https://amzn.to/2Y7mZuX
- Induction cooktop – I use Morphy Richards 1600 Watt Cooktop. You can find it on Amazon here: https://amzn.to/2Jkn4px
Steps In Making
- In a kadai add oil and once it turns hot add onions and cook them for 3-4 minutes till they turn translucent.
- Now add tomatoes, green chillies, salt and mix well. Cover it with a lid and cook for 3-4 minutes or until the tomatoes turn soft.
- Once done let them cool down and grind them till it forms into a smooth puree.
- In a kadai add oil and once it turns hot add cinnamon stick, cloves, black peppercorns and bay leaf. Sauté for 10 seconds.
- Now add ginger garlic paste and sauté for a minute. Further add kashmiri red chilli powder and mix well. This will give good colour to this matar paneer recipe.
- Add the tomato and onion puree we prepared and mix. Cook on medium flame for 5-6 minutes or until the masala is perfectly cooked and reduced in size.
- Now add coriander powder, turmeric powder, cumin powder, garam masala and mix well. Add 3-4 tablespoons of water and roast the masalas for 4-5 minutes. It will get a nice colour and release oil on the sides.
- Add peas and mix well. Now add water as required and let the peas simmer in the gravy for 3-4 minutes.
- Add paneer and mix well. Let it simmer on medium flame for couple of minutes. Do not over cook after adding the paneer.
- Finally add some dried kasuri methi, fresh coriander and 1 teaspoon of ghee.
- Matar Paneer is ready. Serve with roti, naan or rice.
- You can fry the paneer cubes and then add them in the gravy.
- Can use frozen or fresh peas, if using fresh then cook it for more time till they turn soft.
- Do not over the gravy after adding the paneer else the paneer will turn hard.