This Ganesh Chaturthi try these homemade mawa modaks which are simple and easy to make. These can be prepared with only 3 ingredients. You can try my other recipes like, Homemade mawa, Fried Modak, Churma Ladoo, Coconut Ladoo, Besan Ladoo
Mawa Modak Recipe – Video
CLICK HERE to subscribe to my YouTube channel for more such yummy recipes.
- 200g mawa/khoya
- 3 tablespoons powdered sugar
- ¼ teaspoon cardamom/elachai powder (optional)
Note– Please read recipe notes in the end.
Main Equipments Used
- Modak Moulds: https://amzn.to/2Z5yzw9
- Tefal Non-Stick set of 5: https://amzn.to/2Y7mZuX
- Induction cooktop – I use Morphy Richards 1600 Watt Cooktop. You can find it on Amazon here: https://amzn.to/2Jkn4px
Steps In Making homemade mawa modak
- In a non stick or heavy bottom pan add mawa.
- With a spatula or spoon break all the lumps.
- Now switch on the flame and while stirring it continuously cook for 2-3 minutes on medium flame tilll the mawa softens.
- Remove it in a bowl and let it cool down for few minutes. ( Don’t let it cool down completely, else mawa will turn hard)
- Lastly add sieved powdered sugar and cardamom powder and mix till everything is well combined. The mawa mixture is ready.
- Now take a mawa mould and put some mawa mixture on both the sides of the mould and press it firmly, before closing it. Remove the excess mawa from the sides and gently open the mould. Now while pressing the bottom of the modak, remove it from the mould.
- Similarly make all the mawa modaks.
- Store them in the refrigerator for upto 10 days.
- Always cook on medium- low flame while stirring it continuously, else the mawa might burn.
- Never add sugar while the mawa is still hot, else the mixture will become very soft and runny.
- If the modak mixture sticks to your hand or mould then apply some ghee on it.
- If the mixture turns very soft and you are unable to shape the modaks then put it in the refrigerator for couple of hours and it will firm up.
- Always sieve powdered sugar to avoid any lumps.
Step By Step In Pictures For Homemade Mawa Modak Recipe
1. In a non stick or heavy bottom pan add mawa and break all the lumps with a spatula.
2. Cook on medium flame while stirring it continuously for 2-3 minutes or until the mawa softens.
3. Remove the mawa in a bowl and let it cool for few minutes.
4. The mawa has cooled now and has become firm.
5. Add sieved powdered sugar and cardamom powder and mix till everything is well combined.
6. Take a mawa mould to shape the modaks.
7. Put the mawa mixture in both sides of the mould and press it inside.
8. Now close the modak mould tightly and remove all the excess mawa.
9. Remove the excess mawa mixture from the bottom and press it inside to give it a proper shape.
10. Gently open the modak mould.
11. While pressing the bottom of the modak, carefully remove it from the mould.
12. Similarly make all the modaks.
13. The modaks are ready to be served to ganpati bappa!