For Flavored water
- 3 cups water
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 8-10 fresh mint leaves
- 1 tablespoon fennel seeds
For Kala Khatta Syrup
- 1 cup sugar
- 1½ cup water
- ½ teaspoon citric acid
- 2 tablespoons roasted cumin powder
- ½ teaspoon black pepper powder
- 1 teaspoon chaat masala
- 1 teaspoon black salt
- ½ teaspoon regular salt
- 3 drops green food colour
- 3 drops red food colour
- 3 tablespoons sweet basil seeds/sabja seeds
- 4-5 mint leaves
- ½ teaspoon lemon juice
Note– Please read recipe notes in the end.
Main Equipment Used
- Tefal Non-Stick set of 5: https://amzn.to/2Y7mZuX
- Induction cooktop – I use Morphy Richards 1600 Watt Cooktop. You can find it on Amazon here: https://amzn.to/2Jkn4px
Steps In Making
- In a pan add water, sugar, mint leaves and fennel seeds. Now let it simmer on medium heat for 4-5 minutes. Once done strain the water and let it cool down completely.
- To make the kala khatta syrup in a pan add sugar and water. Now mix and let it simmer till the sugar dissolves completely.
- Now add citric acid and mix well.
- Further add roasted cumin powder, black pepper powder, black salt, regular salt and chaat masala. Mix and let it simmer on medium heat for 4-5 minutes or until the syrup becomes slightly thick.
- Once the syrup becomes thick it will have a sticky honey type consistency.
- At this point add the food colour and cook for another minute. Do not over cook as it will thicken once it cools down.
- When done let the kala khatta syrup cool down completely. Transfer it in a clean and dry glass bottle and you can store it in a refrigerate for upto 3 months.
- To serve the drink in a bowl or jug add the mint and fennel seeds water we prepared earlier. Now add the soaked sabja seeds, few mint leaves, lemon juice and ice cubes.
- Serve the delicious kala khatta drink immediately.
- If you don’t have citric acid then you can replace it with 2 tablespoons of lemon juice. Add the lemon juice in the end once the syrup is prepared.
- Do not over cook the kala-khatta syrup because when you will store it in the refrigerator the syrup will thicken.
CLICK HERE to subscribe to my YouTube channel for more such yummy recipes.
- Healthy no sugar cucumber mint lemonade recipe
- Refreshing watermelon drink recipe
- Homemade ginger ale recipe