Recipe – Video
CLICK HERE to subscribe to my YouTube channel for more such yummy recipes.
- 1 teaspoon ghee/clarified butter
- ½ cup vermicelli/semiyan
- 2 cups (500ml) milk
- ½ teaspoon cardamom powder
- 2 tablespoon custard powder, vanilla
- 4-5 tablespoons milk
- 12-16 saffron strands
- ¼ cup (50g) sugar
- 5-6 almonds roughly chopped
- 5-6 cashews roughly chopped
- 1 medium apple, chopped
- 1 pomegranate
- 1 banana sliced
Note– Please read recipe notes in the end.
Main Equipment Used
- Tefal Non-Stick set of 5: https://amzn.to/2Y7mZuX
- Induction cooktop – I use Morphy Richards 1600 Watt Cooktop. You can find it on Amazon here: https://amzn.to/2Jkn4px
Steps In Making
- In a pan add ghee and once it melts add the vermicelli.
- Roast the vermicelli on medium flame for around 2 minutes or until it turns golden brown in colour and releases an aromatic smell.
- In another pan add milk and bring it to a boil.
- Now add saffron strands and cardamom powder.
- Add the roasted vermicelli in the milk and cook for around 7-8 minutes or until the vermicelli is cooked. It will double in size.
- Add sugar, almonds, cashews and cook till the suga dissolves completely.
- Now in a small bowl add custard powder and cold milk and mix till it forms smooth.
- Add the custard mixture in the milk and cook for another 2-3 minutes. It will start to thicken. Do not over cook. Now let it cool down completely.
- To assemble in a glass add 2 tablespoons of pomegranate and banana. Now pour 2 spoonful of the vermicelli custard followed by chopped apples and pomegranate. Put another layer of custard vermicili.
- Garnish with almonds and pomegranate.
- Don’t overcook the seviyan kheer as it thickens after cooling.
- You can dry roast the vermicelli without ghee. I prefer adding ghee as it gives a nice flavour.
- Always roast vermicelli on medium flame and keep stirring it continuously, else it may burn.
- Do not over cook, as it will become thick after cooling.
- You can use any fruits of your choice.