Boil the potatoes
- 500g baby potatoes
- 2 cups water
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- 2 tablespoons oil
- 1 teaspoon cumin seeds
- 1 teaspoon mustard seeds
- 1 pinch asafetida
- 1 tablespoon ginger paste
- 2 tablespoons garlic finely chopped
- 2 green chillies finely chopped
- 1 large onion finely chopped
- salt to taste
- ¼ teaspoon turmeric powder
- ½ teaspoon red chilli powder
- 1 teaspoon red chilli flakes
- 1 teaspoon coriander powder
- ½ teaspoon amchoor powder
- ¼ teaspoon chaat masala
- ¼ teaspoon garam masala
- 2 tablespoons fresh coriander
Note– Please read recipe notes in the end.
Main Equipment Used
- Tefal Non-Stick set of 5: https://amzn.to/2Y7mZuX
- Induction cooktop – I use Morphy Richards 1600 Watt Cooktop. You can find it on Amazon here: https://amzn.to/2Jkn4px
Steps In Making
- To boil the potatoes add them in a pressure cooker along with water and salt. Now pressure cook them on medium heat until it gets 2 whistle.
- Once done let them cool down and then peel them.
- To make the baby potatoes, in a kadai heat oil and then add cumin seeds, mustard seeds and asafetida. Cook till they start to splutter.
- Now add ginger paste, chopped garlic and green chillies. Sauté for a minute.
- Further add finely chopped onions and cook for 3-4 minutes or until light golden brown in colour.
- Now add the baby potatoes and mix till everything is well combined. Cook for 4-5 minutes on medium heat. The potatoes will start to get a crispy brown texture.
- Now add turmeric powder, red chilli powder, red chilli flakes, coriander powder, chaat masala, amchoor powder, garam masala and mix well.
- Cook for another 2-3 minutes and then add fresh coriander.
- Chatpate baby potatoes are ready, serve hot with paratha, puri or rice.
- Do not over boil the potatoes else they will lose their shape.