- 2 cups seviyan/vermicelli
- 2 tablespoons oil
- 1 teaspoon cumin/jeera
- 1 tablespoon urad dal
- 1 tablespoon roasted chana dal
- 1 teaspoon mustard seeds/rai
- 3-4 cashews
- 1 onion large finely chopped
- 1 green chili finely chopped
- 1 carrot big finely chopped
- ½ cup peas
- 1 capsicum medium finely chopped
- 3.5 cups water
- salt to taste
- ¼ teaspoon black pepper powder
- 2 tablespoons fresh coriander
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
Note– Please read recipe notes in the end.
Please measure seviyan and water from the same cup
Main Equipment Used
- Tefal Non-Stick set of 5: https://amzn.to/2Y7mZuX
- Induction cooktop – I use Morphy Richards 1600 Watt Cooktop. You can find it on Amazon here: https://amzn.to/2Jkn4px
Steps In Making
- In a kadai dry roast the vermicelli for 4-5 minutes on medium heat till it gets a light brown colour. Remove it in a plate.
- To make the seviyan upma, in a kadai heat oil and then add urad dal, roasted chana dal, cumin and mustard seeds. Roast them for a minute till the dal gets a light brown colour.
- Now add cashews and roast for few seconds.
- Add onions and cook for 3-4 minutes till it gets a light brown colur.
- Further add carrots, peas, capsicum and cook for 2 minutes while stirring it occasionally. Do not over cook the vegetables.
- Now add water, salt and black pepper powder. Bring it to a boil.
- Add the roasted vermicelli and cover it with a lid. Cook on medium heat for 4-5 minutes.
- Garnish with fresh coriander and lemon juice.
- Serve hot!
- Always dry roast the vermicelli. This will prevent the upma from becoming soggy.
- You can add any vegetable of your choice.
- Always measure vermicelli and water from the same cup.
- Bring water to boil before adding the vermicelli.